Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Got some questions, oh my!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Cool Got some questions, oh my!

Well hello, thanx for taking the time to read and hopefully answer any questions l may have, thanx. Well to start things off l bought 3 weeks ago an 1985.5 Porsche 944 non turbo. Picked the car up for what l thought was a reasonable buy for a non running beeni in storage since 1992 Porsche, my first one. So first thing first l put a fuel pump on it due the reason it wasn't running, straightened the hood since the previous owner couldn't get it to open and put one good crease in the drivers side, yikes, what nuts. LOL! Got it running halfway decent with the new fuel pump and all, noticed upon start up that the a/c compressor appeared to be loose and falling off, so l tightened all the bolts and started driving, woooo hooo, l'm driving a porsche, least thats what l'm telling myself, drove it work for 2 nights and the third day my daughter and l took it for new rubber due to the old dry rotted old, well you know what l'm saying, right? And that gets us to the point, the car drove like a dream to the tire shop, but when we got there and the mechanics came to get the car l noticed an aweful squeal from the a/c belt not thinking much about it we drove the car home only for that thing to squeal the entire time and the ampermeter gauge to show basically no charge, when we got home the a/c pump that l had just put on the two days ago, was off again. So my real question is, how can l do away with the a/c pump all together seeing as it doesn't work naturally, and where might a new owner find some reasonably priced parts and stuff for it, thank you all, so for the novel, l could go on and tell ya one about the tranny that exploded the fourth time l drove the car and has only been driven 3 times since new tranny and new bolts in a/c pump only for the pump to come loose again today and this time let the belt eat into my timing cover!!!

Old 03-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

You need an AC delete bracket, which will relocate the alternator to the AC compressor location, and uses a shorter belt. There are numerous vendors out there that carry the units. I sell them for $125 to my track customers.

First things first though, if the car has been in storage for the last 17 years, I wouldn't start it again until you replace the timing belt/balance belt/waterpump/rollers. That is a timebomb waiting to go off.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Default Thanx

l appriciate your taking the time to respond to my message, l know l have alot of luck at the site for my bmw and hoped l would here aswell. As for the car not being started again, l have personnally went through and checked things out and performed various mechanical things prior to start up, don't know what you mean about changing water pump though? Thanx again for info on bracket, do you sell the belt to?

Old 03-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Did you check the tension of the timing and balance shaft belts? Rubber will not last 17 years, the belt is going to break on you if you do not change it. The motor is an interference engine, so when it goes, valves hit the pistons and it gets expensive very quickly. The waterpump is another issue, as the timing belt runs the waterpump. If the pump pulley seizes, the timing belt breaks, and again, you are out a ton of money. I recommend replacing the timing and balance shaft belt every 4 years or 30k miles.

Yup, belt and new bolts come with the bracket.