Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Lightest 944 ever???

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Default Lightest 944 ever???

I have a 1984 944 N/A that I am doing weight reduction to. I have it down to 2350 pounds with mostly just removing the interior. My questions are how light can you possibly get on these without spending much money. I'm not going to get into replacing body panels or anything like that. I would like to swap out the power windows with manual units. Is this easily possible? Other than just removing uneeded items does anybody have any tips on weight removal?

Old 10-13-2008, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Lightest 944 ever???

My turbo runs in at about 2650 right now, down from about 3000. If you are going to effectively remove weight, be warned, the car will become unfriendly on the street as a daily driver (IE, loud...road noise, no amenities, etc). I still have all stock panels, but most of the list below is removed. I will be doing some fiberglass body panels probably next year. Mine is mostly a dedicated track car, with occasional daily driver duties depending on the weather.

If you get it down below 2200 I would be very surprised. 2350 seems really light to me as it is (even for an early 944 which are lighter). Where did you get it weighed?

Things you can remove:

Find a manual steering rack and convert PS to manual. Delete the rack, pump, reservoir, and all related lines
AC Delete
Cruise Control Delete
All sound deadening under the carpet can be removed. There are some heavy mats under there that can be removed, and you can even remove the stick on sound deadening down to the bare metal
Gut the underside of the rear hatch carpet (foam padding).
Convert to a manual sunroof
Convert to 924 manual windows
Remove stereo, speakers, etc
Remove glovebox
Install lightweight seats
Remove any emissions related equipment that isn't needed (depends on the state)
Remove the catalytic converter and install a test pipe (also depends on state)
Remove the underbody coating
Delete the bumperettes and weld the holes shut, repaint bumpers.

Just depends on how far you want to go with it. Keep in mind, if you are not preparing a track car, then you are decreasing the value of the car the more you pull out.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Default RE: Lightest 944 ever???

I think you forgot and easy one, the silly auto hatch release in the back. Never works anyways. Also if you want to get really wild you could shave a few pounds with lightened flywheel, lightened clutch, and lightened pulleys.

Cheers