Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Anyone ever done anything with those CD trays?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 01:07 AM
Default Anyone ever done anything with those CD trays?

On the 996's, there's a space below the radio that was first filled with 4 cassette holders, then later 4 cd holders.. not sure if it's still there in the 997 or not. I own an '03 996, and I find the 4 CD holder thing kind of superflous and silly.. first of all, if I'm going for a long drive, 4 cd's aint gonna cut it. Second, my iPod and iTrip combo holds a *lot* more than 4 CD's worth. So, I'd love to take the CD slots out and convert them into
something useful - like a second storage tray..

Anyone ever done anything like this?

- Nick

Old 03-25-2007, 01:28 AM
Default RE: Anyone ever done anything with those CD trays?

Well.. never mind.. I suppose I should do a little Google search before opening my mouth It turns out those CD trays are removable (just open
up all 4 trays and pull - the whole unit just snaps out - I just did it), and Porsche even sells a replacement tray without the holders.

- Nick

Old 03-25-2007, 12:52 PM

good post...i was thinking about the same thing...thanks!

jeff

Old 03-26-2007, 01:38 AM

> good post...i was thinking about the same thing...thanks!

If you're looking for the replacement tray, keep an eye on ebay, there's a place called "Oklahoma Foreign" that specialized
in parts from salvaged Porsches. I just picked up an upper storage tray to replace the CD trays for $30 + $5 s/h

http://stores.ebay.com/Oklahoma-Foreign

There's also a place called "Europa Auto Parts" that will sell you a brand new one for 35.74 plus $8.05 s/h.

http://stores.ebay.com/Europa-Auto-Parts

- Nick

Old 09-15-2007, 10:41 AM

If you have already replaced your CD storage slots, I would like to buy them from you. Email me back and let me know. I have a 00 996 and it has cassette storage. I wouldn't mind upgrading it to the CD slots. Regie

Old 09-17-2007, 07:21 AM

I bought my 996 used and with no owner's manual. I thought those slots were a CD changer but could not get the damn things to play. That's my funny story about CD slots. (That was the question, right?)