Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Low Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 07:10 PM
Default Low Oil Pressure

Hi Guys, Im having a problem with low oil pressure when the engine is hot. When the car is reving the oil pressure is good, but when idling pressure drops to almost 0 and my light comes on. I think this is due to the fact my engine is overheating. My engine temp guage doesnt work so i cant see if this is the case.

My collant pipes heat up and the thermostat opens fine as i can feel its hot both sides of the engine, but I have a feeling the water pump has gone and is not pumping the collant round the system. Other signs are the collant inside the tank is not pressurized as the cap comes straight off with no pressure and also the collant inside the tank is cold.

I think the engine is overheating causin the oil to overheat and get thin and cause low oil pressure. Can anybody give me some pointers on checking the water pump and whether my guess is correct or pointers on anything else i should check.

Regards

Luke

Old 06-19-2007, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Low Oil Pressure

Is there any coolant in your oil? Sounds like symptoms of a bad headgasket (the cooling, not the low oil pressure). I am guessing you have 2 problems here.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:34 PM

Ok, I checked the oil cap and it is moist and a little foamy. When I start the engine from cold my oil pressure is 4 on the guage, but the warmer it gets the oil pressure drops and drops. I stopped the engine and took the oil cap off and there is steam comin out of the funnelso the oil is pipin hot.

I cant see any obvious signs of a blown headgasket, but it is damp around the water pump. There is no air in the system and there is no blockage in the pipes, but the collant inside the tank is still cold, as if its not being pumped round because correct me if im wrong but im sure the collant inside the tank should be hot.

Obviously the headgasket is the last thing i wana change so is the water pump really not the suspect. I hope you have a second idea because otherwise i have a big job on my hands.

Cheers Doc

Old 06-24-2007, 04:37 PM

i'm havng the same issue, with oil pressure. when i run my a/c after the car is good and warm the oil pressure light flickers, the presure gauge bounces around for a second and then it stabalizes.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:12 PM

Skywalker - I'm having similar issues and have done a little research. I don't think your car is overheating.It may bea badoil pressure relief valve. To check, pull the relief valve and turn the engine over. If oil comes out of the vacant hole, your pump is working but the relief valve is not. If no-oil, you may have a pump problemor a crankshaft pully tension problem.

Riker -I've heard of the same issues only showing upwhen A/C is run, car is driven hard or it's a smokin' hot day. Oil takes a long time to come to temp so I'd look at the relief valve also.

Look on Clark's Garage (www.clarks-garage.com)under :
"LUBE-03, Oil Pressure - General Information and Troubleshooting Tips"
I won't have a chance to dig into mine until the weekend so if you find-out anything let me know.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:07 PM

Yeah thats my next point of call. Im in the middle of puttin the water pump back on and ill give it a test, but i got a feeling its gonna be either the oil pressure relief valve or the tension on the cam belt pulley. On the pulley is a metal sleeve gear that runs the oil pump and works on the tension on the crank shaft pulley bolt and if its not at the right specification or is missin an washer and o ring the sleeve is not compressed properly and will cause this low oil pressure. I'll keep you informed tho :-)

Old 06-26-2007, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

155ft/lbs is the proper torque of the crank bolt.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:44 PM

What does the oil relief valve do exactly. The way you said test it makes it look like oil pouring out the hole or not both conclude to a problem. What should happen with the relief valve out?

Also I read something about an alignment tool for reinserting the valve, is this vital or is a good eye enough?