Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

My Porsche won't shift anymore.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Default My Porsche won't shift anymore.

Well, a few days ago my1989 n/acrapped out on my way to taking a ASE test. Amazingly it happened at the last intresection and I managed to limp it to the parking lot in 3rd gear. Lots of smoke. When I came out I couldn't shift my car into any gear while the engine was running. I noticed that the car would slowly inch forward when I tried really hard to force it into a gear. It also shifts into all gears when the engine is off, except reverse. I'm thinking it's a hydraulic problem but wont know for sure untill I get to tow it back. Anyone experenced anytihng similar?

Old 05-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: My Porsche won't shift anymore.

If your clutch pedal has not dropped to the floor and stayed there (ie, you push it down, it comes right back up), then it is not a hydraulic problem. Sounds to me like the rubber center hub of the disc gave out.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:20 PM

Actually similar thing happened to me jusr yesterday (I was forcing to much out of teh car to keep it short), except no smoke. When engine is running and try shifting the car moves a little bit, and when I put in reverse it makes a cranking sound constantly and never goes fully into reverse. My idea is that its the synchros. Check my post "Porsche 944 S 16V Transmission".
PS: Where would the oil holder be for the clutch hydraulics? I searched around from the top and couldn't find anything.
PSS: "Sounds to me like the rubber center hub of the disc gave out. "- what part do we search for than? Specific name, if they sell it seperately.
Summer is here and I want to get it out of the garage lol.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: RATNIK

Actually similar thing happened to me jusr yesterday (I was forcing to much out of teh car to keep it short), except no smoke. When engine is running and try shifting the car moves a little bit, and when I put in reverse it makes a cranking sound constantly and never goes fully into reverse. My idea is that its the synchros. Check my post "Porsche 944 S 16V Transmission".
PS: Where would the oil holder be for the clutch hydraulics? I searched around from the top and couldn't find anything.
PSS: "Sounds to me like the rubber center hub of the disc gave out. "- what part do we search for than? Specific name, if they sell it seperately.
Summer is here and I want to get it out of the garage lol.
The clutch fluid is shared by the brakes. One reservoir.

If the rubber center disc is shot, you get to do a clutch job. And I think you are experiencing that. Hate to say it, but all your synchros don't go bad at the same time. Also, you don't notice a synchro problem unless you are shifting with the car moving and at higher rpms.
Parts you need:
Clutch Kit: Disc, Pressure Plate, Release Bearing.
9 Flywheel bolts
9 Pressure Plate bolts
1 Guide Tube
2 Clutch Fork Needle bearings (unless you see wear on the end of the clutch fork, then you must replace that....it comes with the bearings, to the tune of about $350)
1 Pilot bearing
Rear Main Seal

You will be looking at a parts bill between $5-700