Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

New member: I put a 924 engine in my 944, starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Default New member: I put a 924 engine in my 944, starting problems

I put a 87 924 engine in my 86 944 now it runs great since I replaced plugs, rotor cap, etc. However, it wants to "kick back" most of the time when i start it. The timing is right on with the timing belt. I try to do most of the work myself and would appreciate any help/advice on what to do. I had to change the wiring harness on the engine I installed since the one on the engine would not plug into my computer. Again, it runs great after it starts. I've had other cars do this when the ignition timing was set too high. If this is the problem how do i check it out and make adjustments to correct it. I'm a new member and new to the car and would greatly appreciate help with this problem and other small problems with the car. Thanks. Steve

Old 03-02-2005, 05:05 PM
Default RE: New member: I put a 924 engine in my 944, starting problems

The "kick back" only occurs while you are starting it, right? Otherwise, it drives fine? I wonder if you have a sticking starter (engages and starts the car okay, but doesn't disengage as quickly as it should and puts drag on the flywheel).

Regards,

Old 03-03-2005, 02:19 AM

Thanks for your reply. Well, I replaced the starter, the one on it now is the 4th, with a new one. The brand new one before this new one may have been broken by the kick back of the engine. What happens is that the engine completely halts when it starts to hit at times. Then it will, on the next try, often begin to start and kick back so hard to jar the car and kill the engine. My concern is that the ignition timing may be off to the point of causing the problem. Once the engine starts, sometimes without any kick back whatsoever, it runs super. Nice and smooth with plenty of power. It idles smooth and reves good. I hope this helps give a better picture of my problem.

Old 03-04-2005, 11:17 AM

If the engine runs smooth and fine once you do get it started, I doubt that it is the timing.

Time to start weeding out the obvious: check all electrical connectors to ensure they are on there. Once that is accomplished, check wires for shorts or kinks, particularly important things like the AFM plug and associated wires, etc. Sometimes wires take a beating during engine swaps, something may have been damaged creating an intermittent issue. I know you said you replaced the harness, but that one could have some damage somewhere as well (?).

A multimeter would be a nice tool to use at this point if you have one.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Nami

Old 03-04-2005, 03:22 PM

ORIGINAL: namisofiT

A multimeter would be a nice tool to use at this point if you have one.
If not you can get wrather inexpensive analog models that last for a while.

Old 03-08-2005, 12:43 PM

Yes I do need to do some checks on the wiring. I just have never done much of that but i can learn as i go. Hey, I do have a thought about the starter maybe being the problem as suggested already. The "new" starters that I put on and have on it are remanufactured Bosch starters. The first one was replaced because when tested at the store was not disengaging fast enough, now that I think about it. Any thoughts about the quality of these starters. Might I have yet another weak starter? Thanks for your help.

Old 03-09-2005, 12:34 AM

Yeah, very possibly. I have also seen rebuilds that were set up to spin in the reverse direction (polarity reversal). I would look for a friend with a similar 944 that has a good starter and swap that one in. It beats buying multiple units...

Regards,