Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

new owner of an old porsche

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Default new owner of an old porsche

Recently acquired an 87 porsche 944. a real fixer upper. minor nuissance is the gas gauge does not work at all. Before I go about purchasing new replacement parts, is there a way to repair/clean existing parts between the gauge and fuel tank. I have read posts outside of this forum about the sender could be cleaned but thought I would check with the experts before I actually tried it. Any help or direction to diagrams and/or how to's will be most appreciated. I'm sure I will have lots more questions before I get this thing road worthy. The body is in fairly good shape, the interior must be completely reworked. Luckily, my daughters boyfriend does auto interior for a living.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Cool Possible diamond in the ruff

Gas gauge problem, hopefully fixed. rats had built a nest right beside where the fuel tank sender, fuel line and such enter the tank. they chewed right through the wires. reterminated and gauge seems to be working. will not know if it works all the way down to empty until we get done with the paint job, interior restoration and so forth. its pretty much gutted right now. Also, wasn't not sure if the timing belt and related items had ever been changed, so I purchased a kit. When I went to change them, I removed the whole shroud covering that area only to find that the existing belts looked practically brand new. so I dared not mess with the timing if I didn't have to. Put it all back together. I know now that I can just take the top half of that cover off to inspect the belts...from now on. I can't wait to get this thing restored and on the road. I'm sure it will get a little bit better gas mileage than my GMC Sierra 1500.