Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Newbie with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Default Newbie with some questions

Hello Porsche Forum,
I just started looking at the possiblity of purchasing a Porsche 944 to add to my "stable". I currently own a 2001 Corvette Z06 (my weekend car and drag racing car) and a 1986 Monte Carlo SS (currently my daily driver, has a lot of engine mods, ie. 400hp, so fuel economy is out the window). Even with the price of gas dropping some, filling up the SS every other day is still expensive. In looking at different 4 cylinder cars, I thought the 944 might suit my needs. I recently came across a 1987 944S for $ 2900obo. In the ad, the seller states that the seats need to be recovered (not a big deal for me, in the process of recovering my SS seats) and the driver door handle is loose. I don't know yet about the service records of the vehicle. It has 130,000 miles, black with tan interior, 5 speed, etc. I have never owned anything other than American cars. How is owning a German car? I read the FAQ section, is there anything else I should look at that is not included there (main areas of "interest"). What issues are there with the 944's? Is the aftermarket parts market extensive, or are their holes in restoration parts and performance parts providers? Any additional information would be great. Thank you.

Neil

Old 02-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Default RE: Newbie with some questions

Just got some additional information from the seller...
Body is in excellent shape very little rust, has 17" Boxer wheels, tires are good, interior is pretty worn in front bucket seats, dash top is ok but cracked, started having clutch disengagement problems recently..."if you sinch the engine speed you can shift gears and drive, clutch appears OK with no slipping, I think a hydraulic bleeding and maybe adjusting will take care if it". Does that sound right? Would you bother looking at this one, or keep looking? Thanks!

Old 02-08-2007, 04:19 PM

I've done this twice. Here's my take on this car and the process. If it sounds like an episctle, bear with me.

For around $4,500 you can find a car with respectable maintenance history, a decent interior (no cracks) and somewhat reliable drive train. Problemsare these:

Engine belts (cam timing and balance shaft + tensioner) changed at every 50,000.

A-arms and bushings: a chronic problem with this car.

Clutch problems are an expensive replacement (been there, done that).

If the odometer isn't working (as is usually the case) you can't trust the miles they quote. It's an inexpensive repair (see Rennbay.com) if you do it yourself but be very careful, or send it to Hollywood speedometer for about $150 repairs.

Rear window leaks: check the seal around window glass, latch seals at rear of storage area, leaks around tail lights (in same area).

Speaker cones (if original) will be powder. There's plenty of info in this forum to research replacements that'll fit.

Oil cooler: Check for Oil or foamy residue in the coolant tank, which is transparent. If the tank is bulging, it's a sign that the engine overheated at some point. Or check the oil for coolant.

Tire wear: if there's evidence of odd wear patterns it could well indicate that shock replacement is in order. Now that's a big expense because (especially in an 87) the Sachs shocks are sealed into the strut assembly and can be converted to replaceable cartridges or replace the entire strut assembly. I put Koni Sport units in and converted the struts.

My reason for all this is because I researched a supposedly solid car which had all the repair receipts to validate it's history, what they didn't show was that the repairs were done by persons not qualified to do the repairs properly and that the car had sat for an extended period. This caused the seals, front and rear of the engine to harden. The leaks showed up after about 300 miles of driving. When all repairs: shocks, engine seals, oil cooler seals, clutch, alignment, intake gaskets, etc. were completed, I had spent about $8,000 on a cherry $5,000 car. I now have the best 944 in Florida, at some extraordinary expense. I love the car and it's handling, economy and utility remain unquestioned.

That's it from here. Any questions further, email me at mytrplseven@aol.com and I'll help if I can.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:21 PM

By the way, if you're hoping to get performance increases from the basic 944, forget it. The chip and other stuff you can add won't add anything noticeable. If it's power you want, S2 or a turbo is the answer. Good luck.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:14 AM

I disagree with the comment on performance increase with the "basic" 944. I know someone with a 180 mph naturally aspirated 944. All it takes is a simple rebuil. Start with the heads, port and polished, surfaced, then retard the camshaft, balance the reciprocating mass, aluminum connecting rods, high compression pistons, knife-edged crankshaft with cross drilled oil passages(for highrer revs), balanced crank and probably a lightweigh flywheel, this will double your power and rev twice as fast. It just takes money, i'd still like to do this and then throw the forced induction on top of this.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:35 PM

simple?

Old 02-14-2007, 10:35 PM

A 994 S is a nice car, but if you want something to go fast buy a turbo, youll get more bang for the buck on upgrades.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Panzer

I disagree with the comment on performance increase with the "basic" 944. I know someone with a 180 mph naturally aspirated 944. All it takes is a simple rebuil. Start with the heads, port and polished, surfaced, then retard the camshaft, balance the reciprocating mass, aluminum connecting rods, high compression pistons, knife-edged crankshaft with cross drilled oil passages(for highrer revs), balanced crank and probably a lightweigh flywheel, this will double your power and rev twice as fast. It just takes money, i'd still like to do this and then throw the forced induction on top of this.
I'm gonna call a bit of BS on that. If he is local to KC, I will put his car on my dyno for free, just to see what it does. He is probably making some more power, but no where near 944 turbo I guarantee it, and they will top out in the 165-170's.

A build like that would run about $10k, and the gains wouldn't be worth it.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:23 PM

porschedoc can you help me and tell me how to get the morror plate off the side mirrors to replace the rubber with out damaging it