Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Noob

Old 01-13-2006, 05:48 AM
Default Noob

Greetings all! New to this forum! Just brought home a 85 944 which was a PCA car. Thing is in excellent condition, but being new I am sure I will have plenty of questions. I am not new to German cars, but new to Porsche. The car runs great and everything works except for.... remote hatch release(switch is broken inside it rocks freely) rear defroster. Car has 94k with all service records since new. It feels solid as a rock but seems a bit skitish on corners and wanders a bit on the highway although drives straight. I am thinking maybe bushings? It does not feel sloppy at all. I realize it is different than my GTI or M3. Are there common things that cause this on these cars? Struts seem ok, tires are new. It is a lot softer than the M suspension wise and the big sidewall tires do not help either (stock) It has always been garage from what I can tell, but I am getting some water in the side trunk wells. Tail lights maybe like the Rabbits? It has not been leaking for long as the cardboard doors and carpet look like new still and wells are not slimey or anything. Would the side marker lights be the culprit? That's it Can not believe a 21 year old car can be this clean and solid. Thanks in advance for any comments. Happy to join the community I look forward to learning about these cars too!

Old 01-18-2006, 05:35 AM
Default RE: Noob

Hi & Welcome!

Looks like you've bought a nice solid car. The remote hatch release is an easy fix, get yourself on Ebay or contact a Porsche Breaker and get hold of a new switch, not too tricky to swap over once you've found one. You might find once it's working you'll have to fiddle around with the release mechanism itself to get it working perfectly, mine hatch used to open itself (usually at high speed) whenever I hit a bump in the road. Having had a couple of performance BMW's myself I know what you mean about the softer suspension, there's loads of aftermarket struts that will sort this out, I've fitted 17" cup wheels to my car which has helped the 'turn in' quite a bit. I would look into getting some re-con front wishbones, the bushes in mine where perished and the car wandered a little and felt sloppy in high speed corners. About a year ago I fitted new, re bushed, wishbones and replaced the anti roll bar rubbers etc.. the transformation was incredible. My tail lights leaked water in on their top edge, also the tailgate seal is worth replacing if yours in the original 21 year old part.

cheers

Jeremy (UK)

Old 01-18-2006, 09:38 AM
Default RE: Noob

Excellent feedback! Yes, I plan on replacing the struts with Bilstein and sorting the bushings on the sways and control arms. I have researched the car and noticed the hatch issue. The key works great, but the release sure would be nice. Tail light design is like the rabbits (golfs) so leaking tail lights is not a surprise. Seal is original and leaks very little and will be replaced. I look forward to this new experience. I truly do enjoy this car. I almost feel guilty putting miles on it, but if I maintain it and keep it nice then it should not matter. Is this green rare? I've never seen it but I like the contrast with the interior colors as well.
Regards, Chuck