Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Pulley replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 01:24 AM
Default Pulley replacement

Hi again

Looks like I need to replace the PS pulley at the crankshaft. Now I know I need a flywheel lock and a big torque wrench. My question is, I was thinking about replacing both the PS pulley and the Alternator/ AC pulley at the same time as both the pulleys are a bit rusty anyways. So my question is, can I safely pull both pulleys without affecting the timing belt tension? I have been looking and I can't figure out from picture how that rear pulley works. I see that there are 4 bolts holding it on, does this AC/ alt pulley do anything else other than pull the AC/ alt belt, or is it connected to something important? I have not bought the tension tool yet, so I'd rather not mess with that until later.

Also I'm curious, does the 944 make use of a harmonic stabalyzer on the Pulleys, seems to be a bit of confusion about what a harmonic stabalyzer actually is and I can't get a good answer.

Thanks alot.

Cheers...

Garren
[align=left] [/align]

Old 09-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Pulley replacement

The AC/alt pulley can be removed via a few bolts IIRC, after the PS pulley has been removed. You shouldn't have to touch the timing and balance shaft belt.

And no it does not use a harmonic balancer, instead it uses balance shafts.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:11 PM

I thought so, I just wasn't 100 percent sure. Thanks, I'll just go ahead and get new pulleys all around then and get that PS back up and running.

Cheers...

Wish me luck getting that bolt off
[align=left] [/align]

Old 09-26-2008, 03:43 PM

Hi again

Hey, so I finally got the main crankshaft pulleys replaced and torqued. Wasnt as hard as I was expecting Thanks

Anyways, any tips on getting the Alt pulley off. I have yet to come up with a way to keep it from rotating while removing the pulley. I did so far try putting the belt on really tight, but I still cant get enough tension and I'm afraid to tighten it any further. Seems like that bolt is rather stuck.

Thank again...

Old 09-26-2008, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

The only way you are going to get the alt. pulley off that I know of, is to remove the unit from the car, and remove the nut with an impact gun.....otherwise it will just sit there and spin like you say.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:13 PM

Ok, I think I'll give up on that one for now then. I bought the pulleys as a set and hate to have a new one hanging around not doing anything. So I did successfully get the other pulleys on. Looks like the lip that is supposed to center the Power steering pulley was almost completely sheered off thus causing the horrible wobble I had.

Cheers