Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Radio Wiring

Old 11-18-2006, 11:10 AM
Default Radio Wiring

Ok, so before I tackle replacing those rear speakers, I've decided to replace the head unit first. I'm making my own harness, and I can't seem to get a clear answer from any online/print information I've read as to what each wire does. I'm guessing brown = ground, and I'm aware that the wire bound with the antenna coax is the antenna amp. Any one have a clue as to the others? It's a 1988 (944). I'm sure I can figure out the speaker arrangement (4 way) via trial and error, but I need juice first. Help! It gets old driving with no radio.

Brett

Old 11-21-2006, 05:07 AM
Default RE: Radio Wiring

OK, let me tell you, when I bought mine (87 944) it had the stock radio wich didn't work, I had to drive with no radio for like a month! So, now you know I feel your pain. I had to run wires under the dash to where the wires come in from the door, hence under the dash on the far right and left. It sucked, but I spliced them from there and ran my own wires from the head unit. Through trial and error, I never figured out the wires that sit directly behind the head. I don't think they were previously tampered with either, because the speakers in the front were rotted away they were so old. To replace the rear speakers you have to actually remove the rear window, and seeing as how you really only have front seats, I said screw it. So, in the end I hooked up I believe jvc speakers up front(they were advertised for vw's) and a bass tube in the back! Everyone who rides in my car comments on how good the system sounds, tweeters up front, pure bass in the rear. Thats my story, hope it can help you!

Old 11-21-2006, 12:13 PM
Default RE: Radio Wiring

Ok, so here are my findings for future reference to any one who may be in need. Note: this was for a 88 944 with the 4 speaker system:

WIRE COLOR = PURPOSE
Brown (2) = GROUND
Green/White = ACC/Switched Voltage (via ignition)
Red/Black (1) = Illumination (OF NO USE)
Red/Black (2) = Illumination (Of NO USE)
Solid RED = Battery/Constant Voltage
Black (leading to antenna) = Antenna Preamp

So, because the radio I purchased needs more voltage via the battery line, I ran a 12 Gauge wire through the firewall and back to the radio compartment. The battery wire the car is equipped with is thin, and I didn't trust this. It appears that the stock radios receive the majority of their power via the ACC/Switched wire. I hooked up the new radios Antenna wire (commonly blue) to the Antenna preamp wire (black wire that flows with the antenna coax) and to my amp for remote capability. The amp was powered via another priority 12 Gauge line from the battery, and grounded to the passengers seat rail.

I think I may be replacing an alternator soon. The radio is equipped with a battery voltage monitor, and it appears that the voltage is dropping to around 11.3 when driving with lamps on.
The Big exclamation point will ever so lightly illuminate, but the problem seems to correct itself at some point and voltage rises back up to about 13.4, +/- .5 volts. Anyone have this problem before?