Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

sad engine performance

Old 03-27-2007, 08:13 PM
Default sad engine performance

After putting a small fortune into my 87 944 to make it like new, I have a concern about engine performance. Problem is, it falters noticeablyduring normal acceleration when cold and then seems to falter a bit when warmed up during acceleration. Part of what was done to the engine was: new plug wires, cap, rotor, platinum plugs (properly gapped), hi-flow air cleaner, new intake gasket and tps adjustment. Also did the engine belts, tensioner, all the seals and gaskets and oil cooler seals. The engine has over 102000 miles on it and idles smooth (now) and doesn't use any oil.The only thing I can figure at this point is injector occlusion (like that word?). I have a bottle of Porsche injector cleaner/fuel additive ready for the next fill-up in hopes this may help the problem. Any other ideas on what I might consider? The Porsche mechanic who did all the work on the car really knew his stuff and did a great job on the car but I don't know if he had a chance to really road test the car to evaluate the performance after all the work. Just a quick round the block, I think.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: sad engine performance

I would test your DME temp sensor, the AFM, and the TPS. The TPS can click, and still be worn out internally.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:47 AM

Since my tech had replaced the intake manifold and re-adjusted the TPS is it possible that he might not have found the TPS as possibly defective? Since I put a new K& N Filter in the air box does it require different adjustments in anyof the intake components? Since the performance improves when the car is warmed up, but stillfalters subtly under acceleration,does the DME Temp sensor still come under consideration?

Old 04-17-2007, 08:11 PM

Re-submitted questions: Since my tech had replaced the intake manifold and re-adjusted the TPS is it possible that he might not have found the TPS as possibly defective? Since I put a new K& N Filter in the air box does it require different adjustments in anyof the intake components? Since the performance improves when the car is warmed up, but stillfalters subtly under acceleration,does the DME Temp sensor still come under consideration?