Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

At the shop

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Default At the shop

Hey all!

Unfortunately, I could not figure out the last few kinks in the head change job before classes resumed for the fall semester. However, because I have been using my brother's car, and my brother is due home from basic, my parents offered to allow me to take the car to a local porsche mechanic, and they would front the costs. I have done so, and have heard from the mechanic that my compression is good (which is music to my ears.) Apparently he has gotten the car to run at 1500+ rpms, but the car still fails to idle. He has replaced the camshaft position sensors with a set of used ones, but the problem did not subside. He wants to try new ones next week. Over the phone, he has said that by tuesday, he shall know what the problem is... so, I suppose this was a successful head change, lol. Especially being that it is the only major job I've ever done. I just wish I could have had the car finished prior to school. I no longer have time, as I am trying to maintain a 4.0, and am taking 20 credits (12 is a full-time student at UMD). I have NO time anymore, AND I am broke. Any suggestions on what the possible problem could be?

Ohh, and off-topic, but any suggestions for paying for college? I can't take out loans without a cosigner, and my dad is not willing to do so. I am paying all out of pocket, minus a $2250 subsidized loan per semester. I am probably going to have to work, but with the budget I need... I will have to find MANY hours a week, or a well-paying job... both of which are difficult to come by right now...

Old 09-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: At the shop

The crank sensors are not going to keep the car from reving up, if they are bad, it isn't going to start, so I think he is going down the wrong road. I would be looking at the TPS and AFM, but would also check fuel pressure and make sure the FPR isn't bad.

Lol, in regards to undergrad, can you not get federal student loans for tuition? Typically they will not cover everything, but should cover a major portion of it. Anything else like a Wells Fargo Collegiate loan will require a cosigner though. Working part time is going to have to be an option I am afraid. 20 hours is a decent load, but I took 36 a semester in Grad school for 3 years, and came to realize that I had a hell of a lot of spare time when I was taking 18 credits in undergrad, lol.

I don't know what type of area you live in, but a little secret they don't tell you, is that as a student with little or no income, you qualify for low income (HUD) housing. Typically you need to find a room mate and fill out the proper applications and find a HUD apartment. I lived in a very small town for undergrad, and the HUD housing in Kansas for grad school was in a good part of town, so it worked out well. Actually got about $32 a month for utilities as well. If the housing is in a bad part of town, then realize you will probably be living next to people who have no jobs, and might not be the most favorable people, etc.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:37 PM

update:

email from my father: "Sahverdi called Mom today and she said he needed to get ahold of you. Just wanted to check to see if Shahverdi called you. Sounds like someone didn't get a list of what all you had already done on the car and there was some noise about needing a new water pump...."

my mother: "HI Honey. Mom here. I called yesterday and talked with Shahverdi. He wanted to know what you had changed in the car and what you had done. I gave him your cell phone number and I thought that he was going to call you right then. It would have been about fifteen minutes after I talked with you. He said that when the car was left running (which it would not do on it's own of course) it was leaking water from all of the hoses. I told him that was strange and that it did not do that before, in the driveway. That is when he said that he needed to talk to you. I gave him the number."

More and more problems keep surfacing... im thinking that some coolant hoses had no clamps on them... at least, thats wht im hoping, because I hadnt fully wrapped everything up yet...

Also, I looked into HUD housing, and some other sources of help.. including AF reserves.. have heard nothing from either yet... I love how efficient the government is at both processing and repsoding to internet based information requests... I just hope the answers actually offer real insight....

Anyways, thank you PorscheDoc.

I'll keep posted

Old 09-28-2007, 03:17 PM

Car is done. It was an air leak, as seemingly everyone first hypothesized.
Thank you all for your help, I greatly appreciate it.
Off to pick up the Porsche tomorrow!!!!!!!