Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Timing and Cam

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Timing and Cam

ORIGINAL: zorin

Hi Tarheel,
Did you have to take out the 32 mm bolt in front of the camshaft gear to take the camshaft housing off? (your lat picture)

No you do not.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Also, you don't have to remove the exhaust to pull the head. Disconnect the headers where they mate up to the rest of the exhaust, and pull the head with the headers attached.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:52 PM

Like Porschedoc said, you dont have to remove the 32mm bolt to remove the camshaft...

I am in the process of pulling the exhaust anyways, because if I am to replace the head, I will have to pull the exhaust from the current head so that I can put it on the new one. Or if I was to have that one rebuilt, I would still have to remove the exhaust.

The exhaust studs are coming out quite easily actually, I am having much more trouble with detaching the header from the rest of the exhaust. I have one bolt out (of the 6), one head is sheared off, and the remainder seem to be stipped... AND there is an impossibly small amount of space to work two wrenches in...I am contemplating just cutting the bolts and replacing them all when I reattach it. Any suggestions?

btw, thanks Porschedoc and Zorin, having you guys to turn to makes this project significantly less stressful.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:54 PM

Removed the exhaust from the head, and finally pulled the head out. Waiting on parts now... in the meantime, contemplating working on the body, the wheels, and perhaps cleaning the camshaft and intake manifold. Anyways, here are pics:

Old 07-25-2007, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Ouch, those are some bent valves alright!

Old 07-25-2007, 04:46 PM

yeah, i didnt have to think too long about how bad the valves were... 2 mins after removing the head, i ordered a rebuilt one. haha

Old 07-25-2007, 08:46 PM

What I did with the exhust bolts was that I sprayed a good amount of Gunk's Liquid Wrench, then I tapped it a few times it with small hammer, waited over night and Voila! With very little force and using am open-ended 13 mm wrench, the bolts came off.

Thanks for the photos. Very helpfull. I am going to take the head off tommorrow

Old 07-25-2007, 09:31 PM

I guess youcan not just replace the valves without a lot work on the valve seats? Does the re-built head come with valves?
Are you going to replace the water pump while you are at it? I recommend you do.Also, in my case, I am going to replace the fuel injections seals as well.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:49 PM

Is there any damage to the pistons? Now that you are looking at the bent valves, is it clear why the engine would not rotate? If a bent valve was blocking a piston from going up then there must be a visible contact mark on the piston.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, with those valves, there are going to be some smiley face marks on the pistons.

Quick Reply: Timing and Cam