Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Won't turn over!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 02:02 AM
Default Won't turn over!!

Okay. Finally got my baby all fixed! All it took was a complete rebuild of the entire rear suspension. Of course I am not complaining, she handles better now than ever before! But she is running for exactly one week and my headlight switch commits seppuku. An easy fix and all but a nuisance. But just one week later, more problems......

The engine begins to crank, but will not to turn over. I checked all of the initial inclinations: Fuel filter (old so it was replaced anyway), Fuel Pump (makes noise and double checked with multimeter), Spark plugs/wires (Plugs replaced due to age, wires checked with multimeter). I ruled out the starter because it cranks. My concerns now are for the ignition coil and the injectors. I am in search of a fuel pressure testing gauge that will fit the 11x1.5 threading on the fuel rail. This way I can triple check the fuel pump and hoses for issues. I also wonder if there is maybe a more safe and sane way to check the ignition coil/distributor, as is I slap an old plug (that I know works) into the wire mount it in the lexan mount I fabed and let her rip. Not smart but the job gets done. Is there a tool I can buy that does the same thing with possible injury to myself or vehicle?

Or is there perhaps another potential problem I am overlooking?

Old 04-06-2006, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Won't turn over!!

Pull the coil wire out of the distributor, stick a screwdriver in it, lay it across a point on the engine. Make sure you are not holding it, have someone crank the car and look for an arc between the screwdriver and the ground point. If that is good, repeat using a spark plug wire and spark plug, laying against the cam tower, again have someone crank the engine, look for spark. Easiest way to see if the injectors are firing is to pull the rail with the injectors still on it, crank the engine and look for them to spray fuel. Is your tach bouncing when cranking? If not, likely a dme or reference sensor problem.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:47 PM

ORIGINAL: PorscheDoc

Is your tach bouncing when cranking? If not, likely a dme or reference sensor problem.
No, but I don't recall it ever doing that.

Old 04-12-2006, 02:33 AM

Okay, I finnaly got some daylight hours away from work today and was able to check out ze auto.

No the Tach does not bounce. But as I said before I don't ever recall a signifigant bounce while cranking.

I did however test the ignition coil, distributor and plug wires both the dumb (but fun) way and with yon multimeter. It seems the Ignition Coil has gone, no spark. I don't think the dme or reference sensor would do that... or would it? I don't see how it would, or if that's the case why it would cause the Coil to read massive resistance.
Perhaps the lack of tach bounce is something I should worry about also?

Old 04-12-2006, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

If the tach is not moving at all, then you have a reference sensor, DME, or DME relay problem