Notices
Porsche Boxster Porsche's smallest and least expensive sports car model,the Boxster is a convertible sports car released in late 1996.

2008 Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Default 2008 Boxster S

Ordered my first Porsche last weekend! I tried to order a 2007 Boxster S, but was told there were no more allocations available. I checked this wth a couple of area dealers and they confirmed-- so ordered a 2008 S. Does anyone know why a Boxster can't be ordered 5 months before the supposed end of the current model year? Waiting until year-endfor my new one and foregoing another summer of Colorado mountain driving seems a real shame. Will keep everyone posted on new model details,pricing, etc. as the '08 progresses through the build process.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Default RE: 2008 Boxster S

Hey Steve,
I'm just learning about Porsche. I'm just curious and have some questions for you.

1) What are the advantages / disadvantages of ordering a new porsche instead of buying a new one from a dealership?

2) What kind of warranty do you get?

3) What if you don't like the car when you first receive it and you notice defects, etc?

any and all information is greatly appreciated!

Old 05-04-2007, 03:25 PM

Interesting questions:

The only real advantage to ordering a car is you get the exact color and equipment combination you want. Some color combinations are next to impossible to find and if this is important to you and no dealer has something close, the only optionis to order one. I checked online with close to 100 Porsche dealers and found one '07 Boxster S in the colors I wanted and the equipment was close, but it came with a Tiptronic automatic and I definitely want the 6-speed. I started my search too late in the '07model cycle and since colors and optionsare important to me, had no choice but to order an '08.My preference would have been to get one from dealer stock, even if it meant shipping it cross-country.

There are severaladvantages to getting one from dealer stock. You can have the car immediately--a big plus. The car can be testdriven and compared to other similar units the dealer has in stock; this makes it easierbe sure car you choosemeets your expectations.I've founddealerships will give you a better deal on an in-stock unit. If an ordered car arrives and has some defect (rare with Porsches I'm told) the dealership will make the necessary repairs and you're good to go. If the repairs aren't to your satisfaction, most dealers will return your deposit, but then you're back to square one with no car. Warranty is the same, 4 years/50,000 miles.

The '08 Boxster I ordered is the 6th car I've bought from this dealership (the previous 5 are all Audi models) and they offered me a discount on the ordered car that is very similar to one they had in stock, so my downside to ordering one was minimal, aside from the long wait.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:00 AM

Stevenb
Is the 08 Boxster S any difference from 07? I think is will be the same since 05 is same as 06, therefore, 07 may be same as 08.
Our local dealer told me that their isn't enough Boxster out there, Porsche just don't make enough for everyone. Wait 6 months for a car is very normal, some time is longer, 9 months, one guy waited one year for a 911.
Car dealer is doing the kind of thing now, I went down toLexus in March to check out some SUV, they told me they are selling 08 model, what?? Selling 08 model in March 07, this is a trend now.
Tinchao

Old 05-07-2007, 01:15 PM

Tinchao
Thanks for the confirmation. I've read that some Ferrari models have waits better than 2 years! In the scope of things, I guess 9-10 months is not too bad. As to the differences between the '07 and '08, I've read that there is a minor "re-freshening" for the 08; possible revisedheadlights and front bumper, LED taillights and maybe a slight change to the rear bumper facia. Mechanicals should be the same as the '07. As soon as I receive a copy of thepcna-confirmed order, I hope to have a better idea of'08 changes and I'll post them.

Stevenb