Notices
Porsche Boxster Porsche's smallest and least expensive sports car model,the Boxster is a convertible sports car released in late 1996.

Considering purchase of Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Default Considering purchase of Boxster

Hello all, I am new on the forum because I have been considering the purchase of a boxster for a while now and needed some extra input from experienced owners. I am selling my 99 camaro (first car, had it for four years) in favor of something more fun to drive. A friend of mine has owned three Porsches (boxster, boxster S, and a 911) and loved every one of them. I am still in college and, like most college students, money is tight. I have found a few Boxsters withing my price range after I sell my Camaro but the ones in my range either need work (faded paint on the hood/rear or broken convertible motor) or have very high miles. My concern is that I'll get into the car at a good price but something will go terribly wrong and I won't be able to afford repairs. So here's my question..... On a Boxster that appears to be well maintained but has over 100,000 miles are the odds of engine/trans/clutch problems high? I did find one with 75,000 miles on it for $7,000 but it's the one that has faded paint and a broken convertible motor. Thanks for any and all advice!

Old 05-10-2011, 10:07 AM

should I move this to General Chat?

Old 05-11-2011, 10:54 AM

Your concern is fully justified. On a tight budget you really should not consider a Boxster, even if it looks to be in good condition, etc. I might work out, but it could just as easily cost you more than you can afford. And my observation of several folks in your situation is that with straining finances you do not do all the required maintenance when and as needed - with many cars that only leads to eventual problems. With Porsches it is a recipe for disaster quite quickly.

Just wait: after college, when you get a career established, go for it. Until then, don't let cars put your finances, education and growth in jeopardy.

If you want something smaller than the Camaro that is a bit Boxster like look at the Solstice and the Sky. There are some good bargains out there. You can get a really good one for the price of even a reasonably tattered but running used Boxster. They are GM and repair and maintenance costs are GM-like (low). The normally aspirated models are not as quick as a Boxster but do not cost a lot and are about as economical to own as, say, a Cobalt, and just bulletproof. The Turbo is as quick as early Boxter S models and only a bit more expensive to own and operate than the NA version.