Notices
Porsche Boxster Porsche's smallest and least expensive sports car model,the Boxster is a convertible sports car released in late 1996.

Engine power problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 09:41 AM
Default Engine power problem

I recently bought a '99 Boxster with 32,000 miles. The check engine light came on after filling with fuel and I made sure to check the cap to ensure it was tight. I reset the light and that fixed it until the next time I filled it with gas.

When I rev the engine through the gears it pulls hard until about 5000 rpm then tends to fall on it's face unless I back out of the throttle a bit. It acts like a carb vehicle that is starving for fuel.

Any ideas where to look?

Thanks,

Tony

Old 06-01-2008, 01:13 AM
Default RE: Engine power problem

Check Engine Light - could mean many things
The CEL can mean a hundred things. Generally, it is a external warning set by the Engine Computer (DME) or Transmission Computer that something is wrong and the DME stores secondary “codes” that can be read by a mechanic to tell what is wrong.

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/ch...sairflowsensor

One is a lloose gas cap, which you did tighten after filling up with gas.

It'll light if you don't get it on
tight enough or if it doesn't seal properly (vapor recovery is
part of the emissions system.)

Have you replaced the gas cap?
Try replacing the gas cap. It might not fix it, but a good place to start for only 12 bucks.

The CEL is related to emissions control. You can get a CEL not only for just a bad seal on cap but leaving your gas cap loose, same thing for the oil cap and coolant cap. If those are all OK then the next step is to have the codes read out to see what's being reported. Your car computer reads many engine parameters and will give you the CEL warning.

You might consider getting a OBD II reader.
Having a OBD II reader to check the codes is handy to have, plus reseting the light (off) once you read the codes. If CEL comes back on I check again for other possibilities.

If your CEL is still on......and you don't have a OBD II.
Any decent independent shop, dealer or (click here) AutoZone store locator can check the codes (free) for you. If you know someone that has a OBDII reader you might also be able to get the code and figure out what's wrong yourself. Reading the code should then point you in the right direction to solve the issue. The problem is though, that the codes are not very clear and it may take some research to really pin point the actual problem.
Then I would ask for additional help with the folks at (click here) Renntech Technical Forum
(click here)
Boxster Check Engine Light Codes
(click here)
Renntech Porsche OBD-II P-code-Code Menu

You can drive with the CEL on but not flashing. If the light is flashing you should not run the car (it will damage the catalytic converters).

Good luck

BTW, here is a pic of the OBD II Scanners that
plugs right into the standard OBD II port on the Boxster under dashboard on driver side.

Actron® Pocket OBD II Code Scanner
Compact and easy to use. Diagnose problems quickly.
[align=center] [/align]