Notices
Porsche Boxster Porsche's smallest and least expensive sports car model,the Boxster is a convertible sports car released in late 1996.

Exhaust Plume - trouble shooting please

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Default Exhaust Plume - trouble shooting please

I have a 2003 boxter. kilometerage is 100,000.

today i started the vehicle and a large plume of white exhaust appeared. It cleared and did not persist after the vehicle was running. Drive to work - no problems; although check engine warning light appeared ( it is also time for service). Parked. REstarted several hours later - same result. again did not persist when car was running. drove home. parked. turned off engine. immediately restarted. same result - big white plume of exhaust which did not persist while car was running.

i have appointment with porshe service centre this week but was hoping for some clues prior to dropping the vehicle off.

can anyone suggest cause(s) of this sudden issue.

thanks

Old 05-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Default RE: Exhaust Plume - trouble shooting please

ORIGINAL: dflach

I have a 2003 boxter. kilometerage is 100,000.

today i started the vehicle and a large plume of white exhaust appeared. It cleared and did not persist after the vehicle was running. Drive to work - no problems; although check engine warning light appeared ( it is also time for service). Parked. REstarted several hours later - same result. again did not persist when car was running. drove home. parked. turned off engine. immediately restarted. same result - big white plume of exhaust which did not persist while car was running.

i have appointment with porshe service centre this week but was hoping for some clues prior to dropping the vehicle off.

can anyone suggest cause(s) of this sudden issue.

thanks
I also get a small puff of smoke from the car sitting for the week in the garage. Once it warms up it is fine and normal, that is exactly what I have heard from others too. Too much smoke, yes that would be a issue.
My advice is change your oil first. All sorts of engines has shown that when temperatures vary widely as in winter, a small amount of blue smoke in the morning is normal. I would simply do an oil change ensuring the maximum amount of lubrication quality, and wait and see if the problem goes away remains the same or gets worse. Remember that while a motor warms up and at small throttle openings vacuum pressure is higher and this too, can cause what you are perceiving, especially on cold starts.

Now about your CEL. Here is a write up that I recently posted on another group.
CEL = Check Engine Light is on? - Scenario

Problem:

I have a problem that happens every time I fill up my tank completely. The check engine light comes on, and when tested, its the emissions light, something to do with emissions? This happens often, and it will go out after several days, any ideas? if I fill the tank close to full, it never happens.

Answer:

Try replacing the gas cap. It might not fix it, but a good place to start for only 12 bucks.
..probably just a loose cap or the seal is bad on the cap. No need to worry. Once you replace gas cap or tighten the loose cap the CEL light will reset itself eventually (go out).

The CEL is related to emissions control. You can get a CEL not only for just a bad seal on cap but leaving your gas cap loose, same thing for the oil cap and coolant cap. If those are all OK then the next step is to have the codes read out to see what's being reported. Your car computer reads many engine parameters and will give you the CEL warning.

You might consider getting a OBD II reader.
Having a OBD II reader to check the codes is handy to have, plus reseting the light (off) once you read the codes. If CEL comes back on I check again for other possibilities.

If your CEL is still on......and you don't have a OBD II.
Any decent independent shop, dealer or AutoZone store locator
http://www.autozone.com/store_locator/home.htm
can check the codes (free) for you.

If you know someone that has a OBD II reader you might also be able to get the code and figure out what's wrong yourself. Reading the code should then point you in the right direction to solve the issue. The problem is though, that the codes are not very clear and it may take some research to really pin point the actual problem.

Then I would ask for additional help with the folks at Renntech Technical Forum
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php
Boxster Check Engine Light Codes
http://www.iwantaporsche.net/Boxster...LightCodes.htm
Renntech Porsche OBD-II P-code-Code Menu
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...&code=menu

You can drive with the CEL on but not flashing. If the light is flashing you should not run the car (it will damage the catalytic converters).

Good luck

BTW, OBD II Scanners plugs right into the standard OBD II port on the Boxster under dashboard on driver side.

[/align]

Old 05-04-2008, 07:52 AM
Default RE: Exhaust Plume - trouble shooting please

Hi
A "white" exhaust plume is a hint towards water being burned off. "Blue" tends to be lubricating oil, while "Black" is fuel.
Are you losing coolant water from the system?
Regards Big Bob