Notices
Porsche Boxster Porsche's smallest and least expensive sports car model,the Boxster is a convertible sports car released in late 1996.

General questions about 2003 Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:09 AM
Default General questions about 2003 Boxster

I'm looking at buying a 2003 Boxster with about 20K miles on it. What would you recommend having checked as part of pre-sales inspection at a Porsche dealer. I was thinking AC leaks, engine compression in each cylinder, evidence of any leaks, flood damage, stuck calipers, safety and emissions. I hope to be able to service the car myself and I am also wondering if there are any complex and expensive maintenance requirements. I know BMWs have a fairly expensive and elaborate valve train adjustment at I think 30 or 60K intervals. Is there anything like that with the Boxster? What should I expect to pay for this inspection?

One last question concerning the rear trunk is there a pass through to the passenger compartment. I fly r/c planes and some of the wings are a bit large. They are usually split so if I can get something say 4.5 ft long by 1 ft wide by 1.5 inches thick that would be great. I'm thinking if the rear trunk has a pass through this would probably work. Other alternative would be to move the spare tire to the rear trunk, but I am doubtful that the front trunk space would be long enough ?

Any info appreciated, thanks.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:17 AM

Hey, I have had my 03 Boxster S for 3 years now. It now has 52K miles on it. I have put 27K miles on it myself from when I purchased it. I do recomend having a pre-sales inspection done by a Porsche dealer (especially if your not buying it from a certified Porsche dealer. I have had no problems with my Boxster. I had the clutch replaced a year ago. Other than that you will want to do your regular service at 30K. Change the oil once a year or 15K miles and I always get new tires once a year. I drive my car 2-3 times a week and put about 10K miles a year on it .
The 2 trunks are small but they will hold enough luggage for a weekend (recomend buying luggage made for the Boxster). There is no pass through compartment. The front compartment is deep but not too wide. You may want to bring one of your wings to a local Porsche dealer to see if it will fit in the back trunk.
Other than that, you will LOVE your Porsche. I am now looking at a Lambo Gallardo. Im not getting rid of my Boxter though. Its too much fun to drive and besides my wife would probably leave me if I did. We take weekend get aways with it and its too funny to see the valets park it in front of the hotels with cars 2-3 times it value.

(Speed yellow with GT3 front, Stebro exaust, yellow interior trim, black rims)
Good luck and welcome to the Porsche club

Old 04-18-2017, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by joeg
I'm looking at buying a 2003 Boxster with about 20K miles on it. What would you recommend having checked as part of pre-sales inspection at a Porsche dealer. I was thinking AC leaks, engine compression in each cylinder, evidence of any leaks, flood damage, stuck calipers, safety and emissions. I hope to be able to service the car myself and I am also wondering if there are any complex and expensive maintenance requirements. I know BMWs have a fairly expensive and elaborate valve train adjustment at I think 30 or 60K intervals. Is there anything like that with the Boxster? What should I expect to pay for this inspection?

One last question concerning the rear trunk is there a pass through to the passenger compartment. I fly r/c planes and some of the wings are a bit large. They are usually split so if I can get something say 4.5 ft long by 1 ft wide by 1.5 inches thick that would be great. I'm thinking if the rear trunk has a pass through this would probably work. Other alternative would be to move the spare tire to the rear trunk, but I am doubtful that the front trunk space would be long enough ?

Any info appreciated, thanks.
I too am looking ata 2000 boxster and also fly models and sometimes fly fast 30in. electric wings that would fit in the trunk area, but stopped flying and play with 30in. hull 56in. mast sail boats so ofcourse it wouldn't work for that, small models , yes

Last edited by riversidedan1; 04-18-2017 at 03:33 PM.