Notices
Porsche Boxster Porsche's smallest and least expensive sports car model,the Boxster is a convertible sports car released in late 1996.

How do you response to "Boxster owner is a poor man Porsche"

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Default RE: How do you response to "Boxster owner is a poor man Porsche"

I grew up as a poor kid in a small steel town in Ohio. When I saw my brothers hacking up their lungs from coal dust I looked for a way out and Porsche ("Excellence was expected.") was what I associated with "out." This summer, 25 years after I left, I finally bought a beautiful Lapis Blue Boxster S.

Am I a rich man? Not in dollars and cents. Am I a smart man? Not the brightest bulb on the circuit. But am I livin the dream of driving one of the finest examples of speed and handling that you'll find? You bet I am. I'll never forget driving my S out of the dealership, top down, my little girl sitting next to me with a big smile and arms in the air. "Daddy, we have a... PORSCHE!"

Poor man's Porsche? The only thing poor are those poor bast***ds that will never know the feeling of driving & owing one. I don't say a word - I just smile. And you should too.

/ David

Old 03-11-2008, 01:41 PM

I agree with that saying............. sorry

Old 03-11-2008, 03:12 PM

I don't think any $50,000 car is a poor man's anything, and as I've said before, I'm sure there are many owners who could have afforded a Carrera but liked the Bosxter or the Cayman: I have a good friend who just picked up a new Cayman S -- believe me he could have afforded anything including a GT3

Old 03-12-2008, 09:27 AM

Your story is very touching. I can definitely see your point of view and understand your part of growing up around the coal industry.

My brother was a long time freelance photographer for the Coal Miners/United Mine Workers Union and other labor unions. If you are interested check out his website below.
Earl Dotter Photojournalist

www.earldotter.com

His picture of a coal miner was on the front of Time Magazine.

TIME Cover: Coal Crisis - Mar. 20, 1978

[align=left]This longwall coal mining shear operator wears protective head gear, which also provides filtered dust-free air under his face mask. Bentleyville, Pennsylvania, 1983. (CS768AF24-83)[/align]

Congratulations on having a Porsche Boxster S! You should be ever so proud of yourself! Driving out of the dealership, top down, and your little girl sitting next to you with a big smile and arms in the air. "Daddy, we have a... PORSCHE!"

Enjoy and post some pictures of your car when you get a chance.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:49 PM

ORIGINAL: livinthelife

I grew up as a poor kid in a small steel town in Ohio. When I saw my brothers hacking up their lungs from coal dust I looked for a way out and Porsche ("Excellence was expected.") was what I associated with "out." This summer, 25 years after I left, I finally bought a beautiful Lapis Blue Boxster S.

Am I a rich man? Not in dollars and cents. Am I a smart man? Not the brightest bulb on the circuit. But am I livin the dream of driving one of the finest examples of speed and handling that you'll find? You bet I am. I'll never forget driving my S out of the dealership, top down, my little girl sitting next to me with a big smile and arms in the air. "Daddy, we have a... PORSCHE!"

Poor man's Porsche? The only thing poor are those poor bast***ds that will never know the feeling of driving & owing one. I don't say a word - I just smile. And you should too.

/ David

Hello, Livinthelife
Well say! Reading your post tear me up. I am feeling for you, and Iam proud of you! I am pround of myself too, owning my dream car is a sense of achievement to me too. Keep smiling and enjoy your PORSCHE. Way to go, way to go!

Old 03-14-2008, 09:33 AM

I love Boxsters. I wish poor man's Porsche were true. I'd get a new choice every year.
The Boxster S is my favorite Cab. GT Silver please.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:53 AM

Thanks, guys. Glad you enjoyed the story. I picked her up yesterday from the Porsche shop after having the 45k maintenance and alignment done. As always, it was expensive, but it drove like a dream this morning. It was only 30 degrees here in Massachusetts, but I have the top down and heater cranked. So much fun.

/ D

Old 04-01-2008, 08:44 PM

It's funny, because the only people I've honestly heard that from (or heard that it's the "chick car" of porsche) is from the people that can't afford one

Old 01-29-2009, 12:14 AM
Default Chick car?

What's THAT all about?! [:'(]

Old 01-29-2009, 08:11 PM

I have two answers for all those jealous people:
#1-It's not owning one, is having the pleasure to drive one.(works great for all those japanese cars owners (ie: Honda's S2000, Nissan's 350, etc)
#2-Poor man's Porsche? JA, That's why routine maintenance is around $1,400.00 @ dealership.

My honest response: I decided for a Boxster over a 911,because of the roadster feeling

Quick Reply: How do you response to "Boxster owner is a poor man Porsche"