Notices
Porsche Boxster Porsche's smallest and least expensive sports car model,the Boxster is a convertible sports car released in late 1996.

Tempt warning light on the fritz but no coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Default Tempt warning light on the fritz but no coolant leak

Hey gang, first and formost I want to say "hello" and that I am glad I found this place. As much as I love my Boxster, it is a bit much to handle on my own (but well worth it!)

I own a 99 with about 58K on it. A few months ago, when I would start her up, the temperature warning light (associated with the temerature guage) would blink. I could remedy this by driving about five minutes and restarting the car, problem solved. Initially I thought it had to do with the temerature of the car but recently, now that we are in the summer, the light blinks at every start up, despite the fact it is 90 and out and I have to drive her longer distances before the "on/off" trick works to eliminate the blinking.

It was suggested that the blinking may be a result of a minor coolant leak however I have notice no coolant leaking, nor have I noticed coolant under the rear boot carpeting. Point in fact, I haven't noticed the coolant level go down at all.

Does anyone have an idea as to what might be happening? Any help is appreciated and, as always, I will return the favor if I can.

Cheers

Old 07-28-2007, 01:39 PM
Default RE: Tempt warning light on the fritz but no coolant leak

Hello,

Have you taken out the underside plastic panels. When my boxster had a leak I didnt notice until the temp gauge went up by a little bit and I pulled went under the car and took out the plastic panels. The plastic covers have some concave shape and traps the coolant that you would normally see leaking onto the pavement. Especially if its not a major leakage then it would just get trapped and you would never see it unless you take out the cover. Hope this helps a bit.