Notices
Porsche Boxster Porsche's smallest and least expensive sports car model,the Boxster is a convertible sports car released in late 1996.

Trunks Wont Open

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Default Trunks Wont Open

On my 97 boxster my doors unlock and everything is working fine but my trunks will not open. both levels are in lock mode. Any suggestions what to do. Is ther some type of security setting or something on the car causing this?

Old 01-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Trunks Wont Open

Hmmm typically they lock when the keyless entry is engaged, and will unlock once you enter the vehicle. I'll do some digging through the workshop manuals and see if I can find anything.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:12 PM

Ok thanks for any help... you think the contol unit under the driver seat might have a bad connetion? Im clueless...I need to get in my trunks tho lol

Old 01-13-2009, 04:51 PM

I had the same problem.

Open rear lid.
-Open the drivers door take the cover off the fuse box located to the left of the break/clutch
-on the bottom of the fuse panel there is a red terminal that pulls out. It looks similar to a fuse.
-Either use another car, charged car battery, or jump box. Attach the positive cable to the red terminal in the fuse panel and the negative cable to the door latch. This should pop the rear lid.
If this does not work you can run power directly to the fuse. On my 2003 Boxster it is fuse C3 but you will want to check with the paper manual on the back of the fuse door cover.
I used a copper wire as the fuse and attached it to the positive jumper cable. This will for sure pop it unless there is another problem.

Open Front Lid.
-there is a cable that is 8-10 inches long which is attached to the front lid latch. It is located in the gap between the lid and the bumper. I had to go under the car to reach it. It is not fun but it is the only way to manually open the front lid.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 2003 Boxster

I had the same problem.

Open rear lid.
-Open the drivers door take the cover off the fuse box located to the left of the break/clutch
-on the bottom of the fuse panel there is a red terminal that pulls out. It looks similar to a fuse.
-Either use another car, charged car battery, or jump box. Attach the positive cable to the red terminal in the fuse panel and the negative cable to the door latch. This should pop the rear lid.
If this does not work you can run power directly to the fuse. On my 2003 Boxster it is fuse C3 but you will want to check with the paper manual on the back of the fuse door cover.
I used a copper wire as the fuse and attached it to the positive jumper cable. This will for sure pop it unless there is another problem.

Open Front Lid.
-there is a cable that is 8-10 inches long which is attached to the front lid latch. It is located in the gap between the lid and the bumper. I had to go under the car to reach it. It is not fun but it is the only way to manually open the front lid.
The red jumper is only available on the 2000 and newer boxsters. You can pop both the front and rear lids by using the red jumper terminal, not just the rear lid.

On the 99 and older cars, you have to dig out the cables.(maybe it is the 97 and 98 boxsters, I can't remember for sure)

Old 01-15-2009, 09:12 AM

when u say dig out do you mean dig under the fuse panel for the red wire?

Old 01-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: D Butler

when u say dig out do you mean dig under the fuse panel for the red wire?
No, on the later cars the power jumper terminal pulls out and you can apply power to that to get the trunks open. On the 97/98 boxsters, that option was not available, so they used a safety release cable (thin silver wire/cable). In the front, it is typically found underneath the passenger side headlight. You can pull the fender liner on that side, and start digging around until you can find it. They didn't exactly put it in an easy to see spot! Once you can find it, you can pull it, and it will pop the front trunk.

The one in the rear is a little harder to find. It is under the drivers side taillight, and takes a very thin hook type tool to get it out.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:33 PM

OK do you have any idea why the trunks have just locked?