Notices
Porsche Boxster Porsche's smallest and least expensive sports car model,the Boxster is a convertible sports car released in late 1996.

What should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Default RE: What should I buy?

Jasonsluck, check this out, this is what you want to read :-)

http://www.babblers.org/forums/showt...10f&t=7272

Old 05-03-2007, 09:42 PM

Tinchao,
You have taught me a valuable lesson when it comes to "car shopping". I will be sure to check out every function the car has to offer 3 times just to make sure that everything works right. From your last discussion it seems that oil changes are quite expensive, $700 dollars? I think thats crazy! I am curious, can you access the engine from the top or just the bottom? Do you think its difficult to change the oil? Do you think special tools are necessary?

sincerely,
Jason

Old 05-03-2007, 10:00 PM

Hi, Jasonsluck. I am a handy man around my house, but not around a car, I am not planning to do the oil change myself. I believe my friend's $700 price tag include some service to the vehicle too, not just the oil change alone. I will try to find out more when I have a chance to ask him. You may want to put another post in the "General Tech" area and ask other members regarding the oil change.
I did oil change when I had a Toyota years ago. That's about it.....
So, you still had your eyes on a Boxster or other models?
Tinchao

Old 05-07-2007, 12:53 AM

Tinchao, Thanks for that link in your previous post. I am researching that link as well. Just to keep you updated, I just purchased a service manual for a Porsche Boxster , Boxster S from 1997 - 2004. I will absorb this manual and understand in-depth the level of difficulty involved with repairs.

Thanks again for your info!

sincerely,
Jason

Old 05-10-2007, 02:32 AM

I've had my Non-S 987 since Februrary of '05. Tomorrow, I'll hit 60,000 miles. The tires and brakes are expensive, though part of that is that I have the 18" S-wheels and Pilot Sport 2's... But yeah, mechanically, the car has been sound and true.

I've had no mechanical failures, but to my dismay (and surprise), the car is full of quirks and shotty interior craftsmanship to keep an eye out for...

In all, a spectacular car that I've never regretted getting, but it isn't cheap to maintain.

I got mine before the Cayman came out, and I have since test driven a Cayman S, and it's really effectively the same car.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:37 AM

Hi, Natelan, I have my 06 Boxster S for 4 months, I just hit 5000 miles today. May I ask how much cost for the break and tirereplacement? That is something I have to deal with in a future. You drive a lot

Old 05-11-2007, 10:43 PM

Hey guys,
Just wanted to let you know that I recently received the porsche manual I ordered. It's from Bentley Publishers and covers the boxster, boxster S from 1997 - 2004. I have just skimmed through the book and I have learn ALOT already. From what is shown in the illustrations changing the oil is just as easy for a porsche as it is in my 2000 hyundai elantra. The transmission fluid on the other hand requires a special pump tool. I learned that the Engine drive belt should be checked and possibly replaced after 60k miles. So I know that If i buy a car with close to 60k miles to inspect the drive belt along with some other items.

I learned that when dealing and replacing the engine Air filter. If compressed air is used to clean the air filter housing, the mass air flow sensor can be damaged!

I'll keep you guys informed!

Old 07-20-2007, 10:07 AM

If you want the actual Porsche workshop manuals that cover the Boxster and are the ones that Porsche sends to and requires the dealers to use PM or email me. I am in Miami also and I can set you up with complete OEM info. I have both the Bentley manuals and Porsche factory manuals and while the Bentley manuals are good they are really lacking in body, transmission, and major repairs. Also the Porsche manuals have model year specific wiring diagrams, and the OBDII codes and repairs which are also lacking in the Bentley manuals.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:25 AM

hey i just saw this thread and just wanted to let you know that i change my own oil and it is extremely easy and if you have all of the equipment that you need ( jack, blocks, etc.) it costs less that taking my tahoe out to get its oil changed. i spend maybe $100 on a case of mobil 1 synthetic and then 20 on a k&n filter which you can pick up at the local advanced autoarts.