Notices
Porsche Cayenne The Porsche Cayenne is an SUV made by Porsche since 2002.

Cayenne S- should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 11:54 PM
Default Cayenne S- should I buy?

Hello everyone! Good to be here.
My wife and I are in the market for a new car (specifically, a new performance SUV) and have been looking at the Cayenne S as one of our top choices. I've done research and we plan to test drive this weekend along with the others on our list. I'm coming here to ask for some firsthand owner opinions- what are its stongest suits? Its weakest? For those who know, how would it stack up next to a BMW X5 4.8is and a Range Rover Sport Supercharged?

Is it worth the premium to upgrade to the Turbo over the S?

I drive a Lamborghini Gallardo. Will I be disappointed with the driving dynamics?

Thanks in advance; I appreciate your help.

Old 02-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Default RE: Cayenne S- should I buy?

If you drive a Gallardo daily you will not be impressed with the handling of any SUV, period: they are too heavy, too high a center of gravity, and have avery poor weight/tire traction ratio compared to that car.

You might be impressed with the room, though. I've driven a Gallardo only briefly, maybe for 15 minutes top in a test drive. Fairly good power (I've been spoiled, though, by my 'vette) and very good build quality - Audi has made a huge difference in only a few years since they bought them). But the Gallardo is shorter and lower than my 911 Carrera, and ultimately I found it way too crowded and low for a daily driver (in fairness I have to say the Ferrari 360 is not much better). I have yet to find anything that is as good a compromise for room/built quality and overall performance than the 911 Carrera, which is why I stick with it, although I'm going to test drive an Aston next week - we'll see.

But back to the SUV, although this is a Porsche site, I'd recommend you look at the Cadillac SRX. It's Car and Driver's top sport SUV and for a good reason, just better overall than any you are looking at, frankly. You could buy a V8 and add an aftermarket SC if you are a HP fanatic.

Old 02-21-2006, 01:42 AM
Default RE: Cayenne S- should I buy?

I took a look over on Cadillac's website and did an online "build your own," and ended up with a fairly loaded SRX V8 with an MSRP of ~$56,000. I then jumped over to Infiniti's site and configured an FX45 and got the same result, take a few hundred dollars. That immediatley was the most impressive thing-- the Rover I built was somewhere in $73K, the Bimmer 76, and I managed to jack the Porsche up to 80!! I'll drive them (already drove the Range Rover, actually, and was impressed. The bar is high) and see if I can notice price difference in performance and aesthetics.

Thanks!