Notices
Porsche Boxster Porsche's smallest and least expensive sports car model,the Boxster is a convertible sports car released in late 1996.

Wont Shift

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Default Wont Shift

I took my boxster out one night to gas it up and I noticed it was hard to shift.. after about four city blocks I made a right turn and when I tried throwing it into second it wouldnt go in.. It persisted for awhile and there was a point where It wouldnt go into any gear even first and the car was almost to a complete stop.. I was forced to pull to the side and then throw it back into first.. ( When it wouldnt go into any gear I let go of the clutch and stepped on it again and still wouldnt go in )... after awhile It I was able to shift it but still rough.. Is this due to the cold weather?

ps. Car was shifting like butter on hot toast when I got it about 3 weeks ago

Old 03-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Wont Shift

How cold has it been? It would have to be well below freezing for it to act like that. How many miles are on the car?

Old 03-02-2007, 06:16 PM

I live in LAand the weather got a lot cooler lately but im pretty sure it didnt go below zero... I didnt start up the car for about three or four days before this happened.. the mileage is 62k and really well taken care off.. I only warmed it up for about a minute or so because of things I have read in the forum and owners manualregarding no need for warm ups.. I took it easy though... could it be the trans fluid has not circulated in the system due to it sitting in my drive way...???

thanks for your input doc

Old 03-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

You know, that sounds like a possible clutch going bad to me, especially at that mileage. I would try changing your gear oil in the transaxle first though, maybe it is old and starting to gum up a little.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:44 AM

Thanks doc.. Ill make some time next week and jack it up and check.. being a tech in IA.. what gear oil do you recommend? ill post up my findings..
by the way the engine light thing i posted up was just the MAF sensor being sensitive.. I checked the filter and something got stuck in the K&N (also the previous owner over oiled the filter). I turned off the engine light and seems to be ok now..

One other question.. When I start it up..sometimes it would sound like its choking or something.. plust the RPM would go slightly up 1k then drop to 800..normal on 986?

Old 03-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Yup, pretty normal behavior on cold start with a cold air intake. The idle is normal with any intake.

Any synthetic 75w-90 will work. We use Mobil 1 a lot, as well as swepco on occasion

Old 03-03-2007, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the prescription doc.