Notices
Porsche Cayenne The Porsche Cayenne is an SUV made by Porsche since 2002.

2008 bose stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 11:52 PM
Default 2008 bose stereo?

I've ordered a 2008 cayenne s and i'm wondering what everyone thinks of the bose stereo?Does it go loud enough and sound good enough for most everyone? My 2001 range rover stereo really cranks,so i'm just wondering.
Thanks.Dean

Old 10-16-2007, 10:49 PM
Default RE: 2008 bose stereo?

I just got my car a few weeks ago and like yourself came out of a Range Rover, a Sport S/C to be precise. I'm keen car audio person from way back and the words BOSE always make me cringe. The RRS' HK system was the only factory system in the last 15 years I've not wanted to change immediately. However, the Cayenne's BOSE is going asap. Typically terrible BOSE sound: rattley bass, muddled mids and dull highs. If you liked you Rangey's sound, I doubt you'll think much of the Cayenne's by comparison.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:21 PM

Greetings,

I recently acquired a 2006 Cayenne S with the Bose sound system. I love audio for home and auto and will admit that Bose has come a ways but still is considered entry level as far as audio is concerned. When I get the courage and the $6,000 minimum to dump the Bose I will replace it with Alpine / Boston acoustics.

Just my thoughts...

Old 10-17-2007, 09:04 PM

I'm going to spend a fair bit on mine with a Pioneer AVIC nav replacement because coming from the RRS, lack of Bluetooth with the PCM system is inexcusable. I refuse to have the a so-called 'integrated' aftermarket option of something like a Parrot or Motorola with it's separate small interface to place somewhere around the dash. Otherwise, if they had double din, I'd go for an Alpine head option too most likely. This the first car that's annoyed me enough that I'm prepared to rip out a factory NAV/PCM.
I've used Boston for many, many installs in the past right up to the SL55 I had where I went all the way to the Z5 series. I also utilized Bostons for a lower cost stock amp and speaker replacement job back a few years ago when I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee and that worked a treat. Mind you the other brand I've used in different cars and in 2 cases vehicles I still own is Focal. I got into Focal like 10 years ago when they first started to become prominent and have have found that they are still my favorite car audio speaker to this day.

I dare say I'm aiming not to go over $5k, on the upgrade, but we'll see since the AVIC is large part of the cost, followed by amp and Focals.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:56 PM

Add the Tooki NavTV interface to the PCM, you can replace every speaker and amp, still keeping everything else. just take the amp out of the fiber loop, it will automatically turn on the speaker outputs of the PCM, or just have the dealer recode it w/o the amp. run that to a Rockford 360.2 for mucho EQ'ing, time alignment and x-overs, add amp or amps depending on what your poison is and then if you want speakers.

The Cayenne has a horrid sound that makes me just want to turn the damn thing off or go road rage.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:10 PM

I just read about the Tooki option today actually and posted in a thread on 6speed online. That's good to know about standard outputs on the PCM. I was musing as to whether the PCM has direct outputs. By speaker output do you mean that you get amplified, not line level output? I used the Audiocontrol LC7 on the Merc SL55 a couple of years ago(only option the time), but I was never totally convinced of the sound quality that resulted from it. Direct line output would be ideal, but I've heard Rockfords new 360.2 is a great unit if that's not possible.

The thing I laughed about most the other day when I was showing my mates who do all my installs was the Bose under spare sub woofer in it's glorious thin plastic enclosure LoL! They too shared my utter lack of enthusiasm for yet another quality (not) Bose factory system . Great also when here the speaker enclosures in the door vibrate at modest volume levels!

Old 10-23-2007, 05:38 PM

I did a SL65 with the 360.2 , and most shops don't know about the output on the PCM's, same with Benz. On your 55, the unit could have a set of low level outputs added to the head unit. I did it to an older 500. Though it was a D2B system not MOST fiber optics.

And speaker outs, is 4 high level outputs, 20-20k hz +/- 3db from when i checked with a RF 360.2 utilizing the pink noise set up track.

The cayenne's biggest issue is Bose trying to get an impact up front. If the would of concentrated more on the sub, and just let the fronts be more of a midbass it wouldn't be so bad. And yes the whole door is a work of art with the bose, you can sound deaden everything you want on it, just to find out that the when you are all done the door handle is going to rattle....

Old 11-16-2007, 10:49 PM

I've just ordered a cayenne s but did not order the bose nor the pcm as I did not like it when I tried the vehicle (2d nav, no bluetooth, no ipod...I do not understand Porsche... everything was standard on my infiniti FX...).
I looked different manufacturers websites (kenwood, clarion, alpine) and found some interesting units BUT I do not know if they will be compatible... Would any of you have experience with that kind of install ? Would you have recommendation for DVD / NAV brand, model ?do you think the OEM speakers are ok, do I need to add a subwoofer ??? What will I hae to do not to lose the steering wheel control ?Nav is not a requirement but I want DVD... Best case scenario I can plug an additional screen for my son.
I went to circuit city and they told me we can not play dvd while driving... is that true ???
Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:25 PM

When you say compatible, you mean ability to integrate with the factory canbus system(ie steering wheel controls,etc) I take it. This is becoming more common. I'm about to install a Pioneer AVIC nav/head in place of my PCM which has canbus support. As for the audio side, the optional Bose system is bad enough, so I wouldn't waste my time with trying to integrate the base level audio system frankly. DVD playback while driving is blocked by law in headunits. Large retailers like CC are not inclined to tell you they can be bypassed quite easily either by the park brake sensor wire or in some cases a firmware reflash as they don't want to be seen to be aiding and abetting. I definitely would not be entertaining the idea of getting a large chain store to do an install in my Cayenne. They are used to fast turn around generic work and don't exactly have time to take care and work out the best install route the way a custom shop would. I know my car isn't going to be a quick, easy install. There are issues like finding a suitable position to house an aftermarket amp and sub for example. Fortunately, I've done business with my installers for 10 years and we work together very closely on coming up with the best solutions for various cars I've had.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:23 PM

Well when I said compatible I meant :
- size OK
- harness available
- steering wheel control compatible...

I have talked to a retailer who told me he can not find connectors so they won't be able to do the install... (this is not CC, I went to a small shop but it seems they are moreinto Subarus, Mitsubishi... the guy was very nice and honnest though as he didn't try to make the sale knowing they won't be able to do the install). How can you flash the firmware? where do you find the new firmware ??? From what I have seen today it seems that playing DVD while driving is a pain with the Alpine (need to add switches + specific sequence...), do you know about the other brands ???

I did not order the Bose system... I had it in my last 2 cars and I thinkit is overpriced for what you get (I had it in an infiniti fx and before that in an audi TT). Are you planning on removing the 12 speakers ??? the Porsche dealer told me the quality of the standard speakers and amp was fine...do you agree???
Having seen several models now, I am still wondering which one to choose... on the paper I prefer the Clarion but I would like to see it... and in my city, it is not available... so I will have to drive to the "Big" city. As I am not in a hurry (my car should be delivered mid-january... it should be built on dec 18th from what they told me) I may also wait to see if there are some new modelsfor 2008.

Quick Reply: 2008 bose stereo?