Notices
Porsche Cayenne The Porsche Cayenne is an SUV made by Porsche since 2002.

2008 bose stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 01:00 AM
Default RE: 2008 bose stereo?

ORIGINAL: pf cayenne s

Well when I said compatible I meant :
- size OK
- harness available
- steering wheel control compatible...

I have talked to a retailer who told me he can not find connectors so they won't be able to do the install... (this is not CC, I went to a small shop but it seems they are moreinto Subarus, Mitsubishi... the guy was very nice and honnest though as he didn't try to make the sale knowing they won't be able to do the install). How can you flash the firmware? where do you find the new firmware ??? From what I have seen today it seems that playing DVD while driving is a pain with the Alpine (need to add switches + specific sequence...), do you know about the other brands ???

I did not order the Bose system... I had it in my last 2 cars and I thinkit is overpriced for what you get (I had it in an infiniti fx and before that in an audi TT). Are you planning on removing the 12 speakers ??? the Porsche dealer told me the quality of the standard speakers and amp was fine...do you agree???
Having seen several models now, I am still wondering which one to choose... on the paper I prefer the Clarion but I would like to see it... and in my city, it is not available... so I will have to drive to the "Big" city. As I am not in a hurry (my car should be delivered mid-january... it should be built on dec 18th from what they told me) I may also wait to see if there are some new modelsfor 2008.
Ok so we've covered, steering wheel and harness ie Canbus interface, that is in case of Pioneer AVIC Z2's at least. Size, yes in the case of double din(any headunit of that size) you'll still need to use a face plate kit to integrate it into the dash neatly. I am trying to source the Pioneer one at the moment, but there is another Japanese aftermarket kit for the Cayenne + Z2 available via ebay as well. Not many small shops are going to have specific knowledge on a car like the Cayenne unless they've specifically done them. Still if you have a good relationship with a small custom shop such as I do, most of the time they will be will to help. You can also check with shops in other areas and sometimes they'll share install advice. Or do some phone research and get it done in 'the big city' perhaps.

The Z2 firmware 'bypass' flash was discovered over on the dedicated Pioneer Nav unit forum, AVIC411.com. There's extensive coverage on how to do it and also how to upgrade Z1 to Z2, change harddrives, etc, etc. I don't know about all of the other DVD/NAV headunits but I can't say the guys I use have ever said any of them are particularly hard to bypass. If you need to know about bypassing specific model, like an Alpine (or Clarion), let me know and I'll ask them. I haven't seen the newer Clarion model, but my guys say it will be ok, just not as fully featured as the Z2 apparently.

See mine and Esoteric Audio's(an installer) earlier comments on Bose. Been a pet hate of mine for years, garbage! I was relieved the SL55 I bought from demo stock didn't have the so-called $6k Bose 'upgraded' sound option. Unfortunately, my 'floor' stock CTT did! I don't know about the 12 speakers being replaced. The 3-ways in the front doors I'll do, the back 2-ways, and pending finding a location that works, a modest sub potentially. The dash center(s) I think are a waste of time if your door units are good quality. I once had a center in a very high-end car system a few years back, but found it was pretty superflous.

My advice, as you indicate is to take your time. Find an installer your are comfortable with working with and make sure you are happy with your choice of components.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:36 PM

Still waiting for my cayenne to be delivered but now it is a matter of days... so the audio install is in my mind...

I think I am good with the wiring part... but I just realized I am going to have a problem with the faceplate... I could not find one at an acceptable price... the only one I found comes from japan for 330 $, that is a joke for a piece of plastic like this. So I have been searching and found a couple of example but no information on the how to...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2405480
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/239779...d&order=17
http://www.contactnavigation.net/zoom/11

Has anyone done a faceplate with leather like in the two examples above ??? This is probably what I will do...

PF

Old 01-21-2008, 07:49 PM

Try this thread on 6Speedonline. A Pioneer genuine one is mentioned. I am trying to obtain it myself at the moment through a dealer. Mind you given the amount I've saved on getting my Pioneer Z3 nav cheaply, I personally won't really begrudge buying the jap facia if needed. The same post also includes a guy who just used the jap facia a matter of days ago:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...ftermarket+nav

pics from guy who used jap facia: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...p;postcount=39

Old 01-21-2008, 10:51 PM

I refuse to pay 330$ for that (it does not even look as I expect...)... it may take me some time but I will have to built a custom one unless I find another solution...
Another week to wait...
@++
PF

Old 01-22-2008, 06:46 PM

I didn't think it looked that bad at all frankly, not great, but not unliveable. Mind I spoke to my installer guys and they haven't gone any further with sourcing the Pioneer facia as they are waiting for me to finishing some software mods to the AVIC unit.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:51 PM

For 330$ I would expect the frame to be covered with leather... I am not saying it is ugly but you do not get a lot for the money...
For the subwoofer I found 2 interesting solutions : infinity basslink 2 (all included) and JL audio Stealthbox (need a separated amp and more expensive)... Do you know any of these products ? it seems that they can easily fit on the side of the trunckwith no sub box...

Car on the boat... should be in Baltimore on 01/29... then another 2 or 3 days... cool!

Old 01-22-2008, 09:24 PM

Yeah for the $$, you get jack really. It's a last ditch option for me at this stage, see how it pans out.

JL Stealthboxes are quite well made and integrate nicely into factory interiors. I haven't noticed one for the Cayenne but will go and look now. I have one in my '03 Cobra vert and it works very nicely. Not a huge sub by any means but should be far better than the factory. Infinity basslink subs are not terribly exciting by comparison and certainly don't integrate as nicely as the purpose built stealthboxes. I'd rather have an outboard amp handling it as well rather than a built-in 250w with no option to choose how much power or quality of amp you want to use.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:49 PM

the bose stereo is not good for a car, just stay with the experts.