Notices
Porsche Cayenne The Porsche Cayenne is an SUV made by Porsche since 2002.

2008 Turbo -- Strange Steering???

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Default 2008 Turbo -- Strange Steering???

My several month old '08 Cayenne turbo, among several nagging problems, seems to have a haunted steering system! Since new, occasionally upon start up, the steering would feel very heavy/tight; like the power pump was not engaged or fully functioning. It would only correct itself if I stopped the engine and restarted the car right away. Then...all OK, with full pwr assist!
More recently, I started off a few mornings and at the first full right turn at a stop sign, the steering wheel would turn less than half way and then essentially seemed to hit a snag, or wall. It took a lot of arm wrestling to get it to turn further and complete the turn! After that, the other turns seemed to be OK. This steering system also seems to vary in sensetivity quit a bit, and not simply related to the higher speeds.
I need to get it back to my dealer (again!), but wondered if anyone has any thoughts?

Old 02-22-2008, 07:29 AM
Default RE: 2008 Turbo -- Strange Steering???

sounds like its not working correctly

Old 02-29-2008, 05:23 PM

Cayenne is in the shop now. Typical service comments so far - "can't repeat the problem".
During driving the other night, going around a slow neighborhood turn, the steering essentilly hit a spot about 1/3 of the way around and woundn't budge! Scared the hell out of me. Luckily no cars coming the other way and I was at very slow speed. Backed off the steering wheel just a hair and yanked on it and something mechanical seemed to pop or release in the front end. It then allowed me to complete the turn. It went to the dealer the very next morning! Not somethjing I want to experience again.
So now we wait for some kind of Porsche determination.....again!

I keep trying to love this car, but it's really hard. I won't even go into the consistently terrible, terrible customer service from my local dealer. They've given me two loaners and both were filthy and each showed multiple dash warning signals, (low oil, low fuel upon delivery, brake warning, low tire pressures, etc, etc.) - some even as they handed me the keys at the dealers service apron! No wonder they can't fix mine...they don't maintain there's too well, either! Some of the worst customer service I've every experienced across the country, including from much lesser brands. My BMW store has them beat, hands down.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:34 PM

Where is your dealer? Want to make sure I never go there. I hope they figure out your problem. My neighbor has an 07 Cayenne and he hasn't had the same problem.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:03 AM

I had the same issue, and now realized that my 08 cayenne has so many modules to check up on startup, so I just turn the ignition key to on position without starting the car up, let the car settle down a bit until all the lights in the dashboard go off, then turn the engine on, this way, no problems at all, including your steering problem, which I solved with this method

Old 03-29-2008, 10:42 PM

Re my original post, my dealer finally found one of the steering problems. Seems some sort of sleeve around the steering column had a bolt work free. It snagged on another part as I tried to turn the wheel and eventually hung it up fully and then either broke off or fell out! The sleeve then freely spun on the shaft. They had to look quit a bit, whereas I refused to take it home until they found and corrected the problem.
Sems to be OK now.
Also, thanks for the insight concering the start-up sequence. I'll use that and see if it keeps the steering working well.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:39 PM

I had the same problem with my 08 CS. The replaced the servotronic uit as per the PTEC report. Turn the wheel all the way to the left or right hand you would notice that there is a shudder. even if it does not seem to steer hard or soft.