Notices
Porsche Cayenne The Porsche Cayenne is an SUV made by Porsche since 2002.

Cayenne downshift problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 10:23 PM
Default Cayenne downshift problems

Hi Guys! new to the forum. I have a 2004 Cayenne S. I notice that when I slow down to about 33-39 MPH, then try to speed up again it just stays in 6th gear and at about 1100 RPM it just can't go anywhere. This causes me to either punch it and it takes off or I have to manually drop it one gear. It should do that on its own! Anyone else having this type of experience? Any ideas?

Old 10-09-2005, 12:55 AM
Default RE: Cayenne downshift problems

Same thing happens with all Tiptronic S transmissions. I asked the dealer's master technician to take a look at it and got the typical "they all do that". Being suspicious, I asked to test drive another '06 Cayenne on the dealers lot. The sales staff, wanting to ensure my satisfaction with my recent purchase, agreed. I can now confirm that "they all do that". The excuse I was given is that this is for fuel economy and emissions purposes. The fuel economy piece makes sense, but the emissions is kinda weak in my book.

Anyway...you've already found one way to solve the problem...use the steering wheel buttons to manually downshift. Another work around I have found to having the transmission prematurely shift into higher gears (aka 6th gear at 35-40mph) is to turn off the PSM switch. If you do this, the car thinks you want to be on the racetrack. It both stays in lower gears longer, and shifts at higher rpms. When switched off, you lose Porsche stability management (differential braking, etc.), but you still have AWD. This is not recommended for the novice driver, or in wet or slick conditions, so please take extreme care when switching off PSM.

If there are any tuners out there, this would seem like a pretty reasonable (and wanted by enthusiasts) change to the Tiptronic S computer programming. If I could get the "PSM-off" shift points, but be able to maintain PSM, that would be the best of both worlds...

Old 04-10-2010, 06:41 AM
Default Cayenne downshift problems-2

I, too, have the same problem, i think.

My downshift problem happens durring cold start only. It's like the car start out with D2 then D3 quickly then D2 causing a big jerk. I have to take it very easy on the gas pedal. After about 3-4 minutes then the transmission operates normally?.?. Any comments?