Notices
Porsche Cayman S The Porsche Cayman is a mid-engine 2-seat sports car.

Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Default Cayman S

Whats up everyone?! I'm new to the forum and to get started I'm very interseted in purchasing a Cayman S. This will be my first "new" porsche. I'm 6'2" about 200 lbs, should I be worried about room (I still haven't test driven one yet.) Also how is the cabin noise because of the engine placement? I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks!

Old 07-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Default RE: Cayman S

Yes there's a little engine noise. It interferes a little with the hi'fi sound of the stereo. But you won't know just how the "s" fits your needs until you take one on a test ride on the expressway (not just around the block). then you'll know if this is the car for you. If the stereo is important, make sure you get the nav system so you can plug in the "Ipod" because the basic stereo (CD24) won't accept "aux input".

I love my Cayman S and would like to have the Ipod input and will wait patiently until an answer is found to integrate it's input into the car. You can buy a used Nav system panel (without the GPS) if you want to spend a bunch of $$ and it's a snap to replace the basic unit. Then you can use the CD Changer and Ipod (aux) input.

This car is a "trip" and it gets a lot of eye from folks who don't know about the Cayman. It's a beautiful car with great lines. It has a solid 6 speed, close ratio transmission, that is a hoot to use. Only problem is that the reverse gear is right next to the 1st gear position and easy to get the wrong gear at the worst time, i.e. the stop light.

Once you get past the vagaries of the car, it is a joy to own. You'll love it if it fits your frame. There's a feral sound when you get serious on the throttle above about 3500 rpm. I almost get a "WOODY" when I stand on it , especially in a turn.

Check it out.

R. Mullins
Florida

Old 07-24-2007, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the reply R. Mullins, I appreacite the input. I'm leaning toward the S for sure but need to do a bit more research. I think I'm going to test drive one this weekend. Anything I shoud look for specifically? Thanks!

Old 07-24-2007, 10:51 PM

Hi, udo233, test drive it, test drive the Cayman, Cayman S, even the 911, feel the difference. Take is out for a long drive. Freeway, side street, curve, traffic, etc. I agree with R. Mullins, the engineer noise is a bit loud because it is right behind your back. I own a Boxster S which the position of the enginee is pretty much at the same place as the Cayman, it takes mea while to get use to it.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:49 PM

Hello Tinchao, man the new Boxters look really good. I like the silver, that is a hot looking car! Did you drive the Cayman at all or were you set on the Boxster?

To anyone else, any input concering the Cayman and what to expect and look for would be much appreciated.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:31 AM

Hi, udo233, I was pretty set on the Boxster because I live in Hawaii, I can drop the top all year long. Also, only Boxster and Cayman has two good size storages, so, my choice is Boxster. Wantto max power, so I go for the S. I am getting use to the small storage now, switching from a regular car take while to get use to, can not just go to Home Depot and buy stuff without thinking ahead anymore. If I can be very sure to livewith one storage, I may someday go for the 911. Best wishes on your purchase.