Notices
Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

1986 944 N/A Autocross/Track/DE - Cheap & Reliable fun!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 06:44 PM
Default 1986 944 N/A Autocross/Track/DE - Cheap & Reliable fun!!

CHEAP FUN!!!!

1986 PORSCHE 944 (Normally Aspirated/non-turbo)

Autocross/Track car Only

FIRST $2500 TAKES IT!!!

2.5 Litre inline 4-cylinder all-aluminum engine
8-valve head, normally aspirated (non-turbo)
5-speed manual transaxle (rear-mounted for balance)
Black exterior in good shape
Black interior mostly stripped out
Ideal autocross/track car
No title available, see history below
Unknown mileage! Odometer reads 150,000+ miles. Engine was swapped by a couple amateurs in 2006 with a 1987 engine.

THE GOOD:
-Engine runs GREAT, always starts right up, no smoke, no leaks
-The body and chassis are in great condition, no or very little rust
-Brand new NETAMI carbon fiber racing seat
-5-point RCI harness set
-Original 15” “Phone-Dial” alloy wheels
-very lightweight
-very strong
-effective brake cooling
-easy to find all sorts of tires to fit
-Transmission and clutch seem very strong
-No Power Steering (not really needed!)
-digital photo documentation of last 5 years of work

THE BAD:
-Exterior paint is a disaster (but race-able)
-Passenger-side front fender damaged by I-Beam
-windshield is cracked/spidered
-has seen front-end damage, but professionally fixed
-original front air dam cut, but covered w/ removable poly dam
-interior mostly gutted, not pretty, but effective
-10+ year old Kelly radial tires
-No Power Steering (not really needed!)
-Engine and under-carriage are grimy
-No title available (see history below)

THE HISTORY:

I purchased this car on Ebay in June of 2007 as a parts car, mainly as it came with the original motor and was only 15 miles from my house. I have an ’88 944 turbo as well as an ’84 n/a racecar and this would be an ideal “spare parts bin and spare motors”. It wasn’t running when I first saw it, but knowing a thing or two about the cars, I figured out what it needed, and when I went to pick it up, started it up and drove it onto my trailer (to the disgust of the seller).

Knowing the car now ran prompted me to consider finishing it and licensing it. I contacted the seller, who insisted he never had the title to the car. I then researched and found the previous owner in central PA. I called and talked to them, and they verified that it was sold to an upstate NY buyer in 2005. They requested that I write a letter requesting the title from them, which I did, but never heard back from them. I resent the letter 2 more times but never got a response. Three more calls went unanswered and I gave up hope of the car ever seeing the road legally again.

The car was stored in our barn for parts until June 2010, when my 17-year-old son decided he wanted a racecar and I wasn’t lending him mine. He started working on it in the barn and finished stripping the interior, including a horrible amateur-installed purple window tinting, molded rocker panel skirts from a Chevy Z24, installing the carbon fiber seat and harness, removing the crippled power steering, and fixing the alignment.

We took the car to its first autocross in August 2010 in Binghamton and the car did great and never let him down once. It was suffering from a heating issue, almost overheating a couple times. We found a lower radiator hose was leaking and replaced that. At the next autocross in late August, the car was overheating again and leaking where we could not see on the side of the motor. Later at home we discovered the oil cooler on the side of the motor was cracked, and attempted to install another one from the parts motor. The installation failed as we attempted it without removing the exhaust headers.

July 2011, my son has moved on to college and better things, and I again pulled the car from the barn storage and removed the exhaust, then properly installed the oil cooler, as well as a new (turbo, larger updated) radiator. The car is running GREAT now, no overheating, no leaks and strong as an ox; starting at-will every time. My garages and barns are over-filled with projects and this one must go!!

This car will make an AWESOME Father-Son Project. Tinker, share, learn together. We did!!

This car was taken to a PCA (Central New York Region) autocross on Sunday 7/24/11 and run on the 10-year-old Kelly radial tires. It was driven well by me and took 1st place in it's class against much "better" car, and even beat most of the more powerful cars (911s, Turbos, Carerras, AWDs). A video of one of the runs is available on Photobucket, along with TONS of pictures:

http://s1134.photobucket.com/albums/m615/scooterracing/84%20944%20For%20Sale/

It will make someone a great autocross / track / driver’s education car. It is only being sold as such and I can only offer the last known info of the last title holders. It’s not real pretty to look at, but it’s very reliable and is sold as is where is, without any warrantee.

Delivery is available for a very reasonable rate.

Please email me directly at
scooter@bromac.biz

We will exchange phone numbers if needed, no problems.