Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Advice on starting car that's been parked 5+ years

Old 10-23-2009, 09:21 PM
Default Advice on starting car that's been parked 5+ years

First post here! I just inherited a 97 Boxster. My uncle bought it new, drove it about 5 years, then parked it for about five years and there it sat. I have arranged to get it trucked here and expect to receive it tomorrow.

I know nothing at all about these cars specifically, but have basic automotive knowledge, mainly from maintaining a 3000GT VR-4 many years.

Before trying to start it for the first time, what do you guys recommend?

#1 I plan to charge the battery (or replace if it wont hold charge).

#2 I plan to change the oil. Any particular oil or filter recommended? And how much oil will I need?

#3 I'm thinking the fuel is probably not worth trying to start with. So I'm thinking I should drain the gas, is there a drainplug on the bottom of the tank under the car? If not, how do I get the gas out? Then after putting in new gas in the tank, is there a way to disconnect the fuel rail and hotwire the pump to pump out whatever gas is still in the lines? After that, should I try to turn over the engine w/o fuel hooked up? (I ask this cuz someone told me I should, but not sure why). Then should I hook it back up and run the pump a few seconds to build pressure back up? Any other advice on this? Any ideas what should I do with the old gas, I'm guessing I'm not supposed to pour it down the drain, and I live in a city so I can't really dump it on a bonfire or return it to mother earth...

Anything else before turning the key?

BTW, is the steering wheel supposed to lock with no key? The trucker picking it up said the steering wheel turned fine w/o a key which surprised me.

Thanks for your response!

Old 10-23-2009, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

1. Probably will end up replacing it for certain. Unfortunately, the battery will probably be dead when you get it and getting into the trunk with no power is a little tricky.

2. Mobil 1 0w-40 9 quarts on the nose. Mahle, Kengst, Mann or Porsche oil filter. Since it is a cartridge filter, you don't need to worry about the antidrain back valve of some filters.

3. You definitely want to pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine over with new oil until you have 5 bar oil pressure. Then put the fuse in, and start the car.

Unfortunately there isn't a real great way of getting fuel out of the tank easily.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:04 AM

Thanks a lot for the reply. I honestly know nothing about these cars, and have ordered the Bentley service manual, but wont get it for a few days... and kinda wanna start the car tomrorow when I get it!

1. So... I'm guessing the battery is in the trunk? I'm sure its gotta be flat (whether it'll hold a charge or not), so if getting into the trunk is tricky... what's the trick for getting into the trunk with a flat battery?

2. A) Wow, never heard of those brands of filters. Will I be able to buy those at NAPA/autozone/kragen/pepboys etc? Or should I just go straight to a porsche dealer and buy the porsche filter, cuz I don't really wanna wait for an order to start this car tomrrrow!

2.B) Holy crap, over 2 gallons of oil. Must be a huge oil pan. Ok. Two questions/comments on the oil. #1 lately I've heard mobil-1 isn't really all it's cracked up to be. I ran it for many years on my 3kgt until I recently read blackstone analysis blah blah bs about how its basically crap and there's a lot better oil thats cheaper - I think even one of the shell lines was better than mobil1 and royal purple. #2 0w-40? I'm in california, it rarely even drops below freezing. Do I really want that low a viscosity? Before posting this i was thinking 10w40 or maybe even 15w40 (which I run in my 3kgt) but I know every engine is different...

#3. Okay sounds simple enough.
I'm guessing by your reponse there's no drainplug... so if there's no easy way, what's the hard way? Poking a hose down the fill hole?

Thanks again for anyone who replies.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by enigma9o7
Thanks a lot for the reply. I honestly know nothing about these cars, and have ordered the Bentley service manual, but wont get it for a few days... and kinda wanna start the car tomrorow when I get it!

1. So... I'm guessing the battery is in the trunk? I'm sure its gotta be flat (whether it'll hold a charge or not), so if getting into the trunk is tricky... what's the trick for getting into the trunk with a flat battery?

2. A) Wow, never heard of those brands of filters. Will I be able to buy those at NAPA/autozone/kragen/pepboys etc? Or should I just go straight to a porsche dealer and buy the porsche filter, cuz I don't really wanna wait for an order to start this car tomrrrow!

2.B) Holy crap, over 2 gallons of oil. Must be a huge oil pan. Ok. Two questions/comments on the oil. #1 lately I've heard mobil-1 isn't really all it's cracked up to be. I ran it for many years on my 3kgt until I recently read blackstone analysis blah blah bs about how its basically crap and there's a lot better oil thats cheaper - I think even one of the shell lines was better than mobil1 and royal purple. #2 0w-40? I'm in california, it rarely even drops below freezing. Do I really want that low a viscosity? Before posting this i was thinking 10w40 or maybe even 15w40 (which I run in my 3kgt) but I know every engine is different...

#3. Okay sounds simple enough.
I'm guessing by your reponse there's no drainplug... so if there's no easy way, what's the hard way? Poking a hose down the fill hole?

Thanks again for anyone who replies.
1. You have to pull the passenger side front wheel well liner and look for the emergency release cable. You can also try using one of those reverse chargers that plugs into the cig. lighter, but you usually have to leave them attached for about a day before it gets enough power to unlock the trunk.

2a. I would get a dealer filter for now then, and then order a couple of Mahle filters to have one hand in the future.

2b. Arguing oil is like arguing politics or religion. Yes it is true that M1 has reduced their ZDDP content for emmissions purposes. Will it cause a shortened lifespan of the engine....probably not. If you want, you can add some zddp additive to the oil at the oil change. I wouldn't go higher than 5w-30, but that would also be fine to run.

3. I've never had to drain the tank before in a boxster. In the 996TT you can access the pump and strainer through the front truck compartment, but I can't remember if the boxster is the same.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:08 AM

Many people who are facing some problem with their car like some of them are facing a starting problem and some other problem.They should go at service centre and get repair their car.