Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Cars Been Sitting for A Week... Stinks like Gas no Puddle...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Default Cars Been Sitting for A Week... Stinks like Gas no Puddle...

So the car is waiting until the local 944 guy has time to finish a 968 to get belts, seals, water pump, etc done... As it sits in my garage I have noticed that it smells like gas... The tank is full, but it hasn't run in a week. The strangest part is that there is no puddle on the ground. I saw a post about a guy talking about low pressure lines and how the car could burst into flames if driven... I'm feeling great about the car being in the garage now... Any ideas?
thanks!

Old 09-26-2008, 07:32 AM
Default RE: Cars Been Sitting for A Week... Stinks like Gas no Puddle...

There was a Porsche campaign (factory recall) for fuel line problems. Depending on your year and model you may be affected.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Obvious places to look are the fuel lines coming from the fenders to the fuel rail, and the short jumper line on the rail itself. The injectors can leak as well, or you could have an internal failure of the FPR or fuel dampner. Other than that, the only places they will really leak fuel is at the pump back near the rear of the car.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:45 AM

I think that it is leaking near the pump by the cover that is strapped to the tank as there is a streak. The streak is dry and not oily at all... It seems to smell intermediately and only by the rear passenger side wheel. Some other people said to check the line drain tube that runs from the filler neck to under the car for rot...

Where can I find out about the recall? Is that still possible the car is 20? It is an '88 NA.

thanks for any additional info...

Old 09-30-2008, 02:26 PM

After some additional digging... I pulled the carpet up in the hatch, pulled the mesh pad off of the fuel sending unit cap, took the cap off, and put it back on so it clicked into place, replaced the mesh pad, put the carpet back and gas smell virtually went away... Now, I'm thinking that the gasket may need to be replaced the sending unit may need cleaned as the gas gauge stops at a little over 3/4 of a tank and will not go to full. If anything changes I'll let you know... Thanks again!