Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Bad Mistake!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Default Bad Mistake!!!!

I put water into the oil on my 2001 Boxster 2.7!!!! Ran down the road for about 2 miles. It started smoking bad so I just turned it off. I knew what I had done immediately. Towed it back to the house and done 1 oil change. Would not turn over. I then manually turned the crank shaft pulley over and was able to start. I then ran "at idle" for 2 minutes and did another oil change. I'm up to my 5th oil change. Oil looks a lot better but the car still smokes a little..... so....
Will this smoke just burn off???? Do I need to replace any parts??? Whats the next step??? Any suggestions appreciated????

Old 07-20-2011, 05:54 PM

Was is really water, or coolant (Glycol, etc)?

Two miles=perhaps 4 minutes minimum total run time or more during which water was circulating. So its liliy not going pretty. I imagine there is damage. Does this cause the smoke? Who knows, but be prepared for a bad ending.
- Is the oil pressure still exactly as before, when the engine is fully warmed up?
- Does is smoke on start up (not terribly serious) or on acceleration (serious)?
Regardless, might as well wait and see: if damage has been done, waiting a bit won't make it much worse in all liklihood. and it might go away.

If it were my car, I would start saving for a new, rebuilt, or used engine. Meanwhile, I'd run a dozen cheap oil changes through it, if possible finding and using an oil with a high desiccant rating (an oil recommended for high humidity and or vehicles driven thought/near water, but not oil for a boat engine) and keep changing oil ever 50 miles of so. Oil has a desiccant to suck moisture out, but the normal amount in the oil is only enough to handle moisture due to high humidity -- water spread around an engine would require a lot of it to suck out. Might work. I would also then go to a slightly higher rating (thicker) oil.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:49 AM
Default Thanks!!!!

It was water....After 5 oil changes running 2 mins. in between it is running smooth oil preasure seems to be the same no temp. problems. Idle is the same, starts the same, no power loss. No smoking at all. Could I have caught it in time????? Ran for about 100 miles now and everything seems to be fine. Is it the quite before the storm??? Anything I should replace to try and head off future problems??? Thanks for your help...

Old 07-22-2011, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Hollywood986
It was water....After 5 oil changes running 2 mins. in between it is running smooth oil preasure seems to be the same no temp. problems. Idle is the same, starts the same, no power loss. No smoking at all. Could I have caught it in time????? Ran for about 100 miles now and everything seems to be fine. Is it the quite before the storm??? Anything I should replace to try and head off future problems??? Thanks for your help...
Well, it looks like you caught it in time. I'd watch it carefully is all. If you change oil more often, change the oil, run in about a minute, then let it sit overnight, and then change it: give time to let the oil desiccant work its magic - its chemical and it takes it a while to such water it finds into itself.