Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Porsche Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:22 PM
Default Porsche Project

I've finally got my Project under way! So here it is, I present to you me and my fathers 1976 911 Carrera Targa!

Now I know some of you Porsche experienced members are going. "Wait wait... they didn't make a Carrera in 76 for the states." Well you are correct. There are only a few of these that were special orders through the dealership. It does indeed have the 3.0L Flat 6. This car was only offered over seas, and was basically the prototype for a 1978 911 SC. (Its sooo awesome, just about everything is in German, and the Speedo is in Kilometers only, exciting for me, seeing as how i plan to leave it that way) Im sure most of you know all this.

Pretty much I'm going to need advice and help from time to time, so i will post on this thread and i will put up more Pics as the project goes along. This will be MY first project car, so i have some car experience but i don't have any motor work, or wiring experience. We are going to do all the work except the transmission and body work.

The story behind this car is: My Dad bought this car in the 80's just before i was born from the first owner. Well it ran great for a long time. He eventually replaced the the euro-pistons with lower-compression pistons (because he locked the motor up and it had to be disassembled) so he didnt have to put octane boost in the car every time he fueled up, and well he took the advice from a mechanic that worked on it for him to do that. He regretted it, because it made it less responsive he said. However little did he know that because he locked the engine and it was running poorly for a short time, he had already done the damage. The car is Chain driven and the gears that turned the chain had gotten chewed up(I cant remember the technical name, someone please enlighten me) and it started slipping. and slipping bad. Well my father at the time my father had just gotten a divorce with my mother not to long before, was in the process of getting married. Feeding three children, and was struggling with his work and worked over time. Thus, entailed that this 12 dollar part never got replaced because he simply didn't have time. So he left it in storage... and left it and left it and left it... wow... so just about 18 years go by and here we are. Now he and I are working on it, and its to become mine. The parts to this car are literally in buckets, but we did a check and found that all the important things were still there. This car means a lot to both of us, and if i can, give it to my kid one day.

I want to modernize the car to some extent, but only tastefully and just little touches here and there.We want to keep it fairly original looking. We are repainting it but haven't decided what color we want, not to mention we haven't gotten that far along in the process yet. ANY suggestions from the members on this forum is welcome as well as advice. I am going to need help sometime, so i hope to learn from this experience and the members of this forum a lot. This process will take a long time, for several reasons, money, time, ect. I thought i'd share, thanks