Notices
New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself...

Decided on getting a 911, but have questions - Please comment

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 06:10 PM
Default Decided on getting a 911, but have questions - Please comment

I am new to this forum and will attempt to explain what I am looking for. Although I had begun this quest on a different site where I considered nearly every car aside from the Porsche 911, my decision will be in this family of cars. If you want to read my thinking up to here, please read comments on this thread I started.

Now I am narrowing which to choose from and what price I will pay. Last weekend I drove a new 997 Cabriolet that drove very well, about the same as a used Boxster S that I drove last week. The Boxster is a fine car that I would get if the third seat wasn’t needed.

Anyway, I am new to Porsche automobiles, having never really followed any of their changes over the years. Although still not completely set, the price I would want to pay is in the low $40K range, but I am willing to wait for the right car. There is no urgency that would prevent me from waiting for a good deal for the color/year I want. My thinking now is I want a Black 2002 or 2003 996 Cabriolet with few miles. I think this is the model right before the current, and produced in 2005, model that we see today. Are there reasons that I should consider 2004 or 2005? I think these two years command more than I am willing to spend, although if I wait until the 2008’s are about to be released, these might fit my budget.

One posting I read mentioned the buying them out of Florida may be the best, as they are typically driven less by their older drivers and are plentiful enough to not be in such demand, consequently priced slightly lower. I live in southern California and notice many here, but think that they are in such demand that their prices are notably higher. I am willing to travel to get the car, but only if a significant savings so as not to have the added miles detract from its value.

Another concern is buying a car that has begun rusting, as often happens in the Midwest and East Coast. Although I live near the beach, California is fairly immune from all types of rust. My wife is from Hawaii and said that all cars there eventually rust out. Why would a car rust in Hawaii and not in CA or FL? Might rusting be accelerated by humidity? Any comments regarding this would be appreciated.

I would also want to purchase an extended warranty of some fashion for the used car I purchase. Porsche Certified really pushes this, but 2nd tier dealers have these too, saying that their package can be more comprehensive. Porsche Certified says this too. I actually have a used car resale license through my brother in-law’s small dealership. Would I not only be able to purchase an extended warranty through this dealership, but not pay the inflated prices that customers see after dealer mark-up?

Sorry for the long opening statement. Please contribute and I promise my responses will be shorter.

Thanks.