Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Just bought myself a 944! but i have some Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Default Just bought myself a 944! but i have some Questions

It's a 1983, I bought it off a friend and it's in good shape, EXCEPT
The fuel lines are all rotted and leaking, I was thinking of running new lines, cut all the old ones and leave them, Using rubber fuel injection hose, run a line directly from the filter going under the right hand rocker and to the feed into the regulator at the engine, then find the return line at the tank and cut it, and run another rubber line from there up to the return at the Fuel rail, This is all assuming theres only 2 fuel lines running to the front?? a feed and return. And should i use rubber hose for simplicity?? or should i spend the extra pain in the *** and $$ and use stainless rigid lines?? or steel lines and use rubber for short hops?? also where is the return line at the tank??
The second thing is when the tow truck driver was loading the car he was forcing on the steering wheel to get the wheels straight, i was just wondering if he broke the rack and pinion?? or do these cars do this already?? (it doesn't have power steering) this is what it does now
When the car is not moving (won't start anyways lol) if you apply turning force to the left the steering wheel will "thud" over about 15-20 degrees and you can hear a clunk sound coming from the engine compartment, then thud back when you let go the wheel, it won't do this if you apply turning force to the right. what do you think he broke??
The third thing is, when i first tried to start the car it wouldn't start, so i used a LITTLE quick start and fired the engine for 20 seconds to make sure it ran, then when i got the car home, the starter wouldn't turn the engine over fast enough to try and start it again. I obviously thought it was the battery but it wasn't, i changed battery's plus tried to boost it, nothing. Now from trying that the starter will only click. The car did sit for 8 monthes, so would the starter be pouched?? I'm hoping i didn't screw up a piston ring with that quick start ****
Any advice would be appreciated !!

Old 04-11-2007, 06:48 AM
Default RE: Just bought myself a 944! but i have some Questions

As regards the rubber fuel lines I would 'nt be so shure about it as redards safity. Some rubbers corode.
From what you say about the steering it sounds like a steering nuckle is worn. Check by jacking up the front wheels and shake the wheels whilst holding the joints to check for free play(you may need a 3rd hand for this)
The last problem is an earth connertion, remove all and clean and refit. Make sure the earth at the back of the engine is good and clean( if not you will fry your Control Module.