Notices
New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself...

New to the forum, need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Default New to the forum, need advice.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and i'm really close to buying a 2007 911 C4S convertible, black with 50,000 miles 6sp manual.

My main question is if I take it to a Porsche dealer and they put it on the machines etc. What can they tell me about the car?

Is there any information about how it's been driven available? How many times it's hit the rev limiter etc?

The car looks a little bit beat up visually, but that won't bother me as long as the motor and trans are good, I can bring it back.

Just wondering what I can really find out about the car?

Sorry for the questions.....new to porsche, mostly driven Mustangs.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, they can check type 1 and 2 overrevs with the PIWIS. Can't really specifically tell 100% how it has been driven though (you can assume some things by the number of overrevs obviously though). Have them do a leakdown and compression test of the motor. If the car is visually beat up, that is usually your indicator of how it has been taken care of.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Yes, they can check type 1 and 2 overrevs with the PIWIS. Can't really specifically tell 100% how it has been driven though (you can assume some things by the number of overrevs obviously though). Have them do a leakdown and compression test of the motor. If the car is visually beat up, that is usually your indicator of how it has been taken care of.
Thanks for that. Just curious, what is a type 1 vs. a type 2 overrev?

Leakdown and compression are a very good idea......but if it's not currently throwing any codes does this "PIWIS" have any history of the codes?

Is there anything else generally I should be looking for? Do any other major parts tend to go on these things?

I guess I see a lot of people neglect their cars, worn interior, curb rash on all four rims, lots of marks in the paint, but that doesn't always mean they beat on it mechanically and compromised major components. The service history should also be available at the dealer and if they didn't use the dealer, then THAT to me says it all. Either they didn't do any service or they cheaped out on everything.