Notices
New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself...

New member, and need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 09:25 PM
Default New member, and need advice

Hi all Porsche lovers:
I don't own a Porsche, but I in the market for one. I am planning to get a used Boxter.
I am seeking advice from all Porsche owners, and please excuse my ignorance as I am new to cars.
First: What is the averge annaul mentainance cost for a Boxter will be?
Someone told me that I can't work on any Porsche myself, like changing oil, plugs, filters...etc, he said that only the dealer can work on it, and not even regular mechanics. Is it true?
How relaible 2000 Boxter is? Is it going to be a hole in my pocket??

I would love to have a Porsche, however if I can't mentain the car myself, I might have to go for a Corvette.

any advice is really appreciated,

thanks

Old 06-11-2005, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: New member, and need advice

First off that someone is full of crap, you can do most anything in terms of maintenance yourself, granted you have a good selection of tools. Yea, you start tearing down a motor, and it will require tools you can't afford if you are only doing it once, but general maintenance you can do. Things are a little different on a boxster than a chevy V8, but plugs, air filters, oil changes, etc are all doable by the average person.

edit: And as far as maintenance per year, that really depends on the previous owner, when you buy a used car, you buy the previous owner(s), and if it has been neglected, then expect some maintenance. The cars themselves are pretty reliable.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:54 AM

I did find somewhere that the cost of ownership across a 5 year period on a new (2008)997 C2S.

The report included depreciation, finance charges, gasoline, routine maintenance (tires/oil)etc.

With all of that, the amount was $102000!!!

Depreciation: $47.6K
Financing: $15.4K
Insurance: $12K
Taxes and Fees: $6K
Fuel: $13K
Maint: $4.7K
Repairs: $3K

So............make the appropriate adjustments for your situation.

My insurance is much lower and I think they are figuring around 15K miles a year. I pay cash and would have no finance charges.

I see my cost around $72K which works out to about $285 a week including depreciation. Take out the depreciation.......which is what we pay to enjoy the driving experience, and I figure I am paying around $100 a week to drive one of the finest cars ever built.

Don't try to justify the fun/cost.........just go out and jump in the pond.......the water is fine!!!!

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2008/pors...73&vdp=off

Old 03-21-2008, 11:00 AM

Hi John
The Doc's advice is spot on.
In general I have found over my 44 years of running all types of cars including Maseratis, Astons etc, is buy the best car you can afford, rather than the cheapest you can find.
Think about buying from an OPC with an extended warranty. It will be more expensive but you will get a car that has been checked and meets Porsche second hand sales specifications. Check out http://ucl.porsche.de/ucl/plsql/usa/...50CD0&sflg_=
Regards Big Bob

Old 03-21-2008, 04:55 PM

I agree with Doc and Bob. A lot of people save money to buy a Porsche and then can't afford the maintenance, while other self proclaimed Porsche mechanics try working on thier Porsches without the right tools and do more damage than they had in the first place.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:37 PM

Hi, got any help? I am in the same situation s you