Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic... Almost anything goes...

Porsche off road

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 03:41 AM
Default Porsche off road

I wonder if Porsche can come up with an elegant off road vehicle that can drive into mud, ice, or sand...

Old 01-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Default RE: Porsche off road

While I understand that some people in the world like the Cayenne and even more like 4x4 concept of the SUV, I cannot see why Porsche who make sports cars, are known for making sports cars, have won countless sports car races, would see a future in an off roader.
I might be wrong however.
If I were to go off road I think I would choose the Land Rover which has a proven historyof building vehicles to go up mountains, through swamps, navigate through floods, ice and mud. I dont think I would look to a Sports Car Company to provide me with an off road vehicle.
Driving a 4x4 off roader is a bit like having driving sex using rubber boots as a prophylactic.
No hard feelings I hope Mr Mcqueen but 4x4 and off roaders I hate them.
Your namesake Steve Mcqueen could no doubt put you right on what a real Porsche is!!!
Regards Big Bob

Old 01-14-2008, 04:16 PM

First off, I question whether there is such a thing as an "elegant" off road vehicle. The two concepts seem like opposites to me. As far as I am concerned, the test of a real off road vehicle is: "can I open the door, pull the plugs out of the floor boards, and just hose down the whole interior to clean it up?" If not, its something else in my book.

Anyway, I have no doubt Porsche could build a world-class off-road car, out Jeeping Jeep, basically, or out humming Hummer, or whatever I guess one could say. They are among the best engineers in the world and off-road is different, but no easier or more difficult that the Nurburgring. It would probably cost a pretty penny, though (again, out Jeeping Jeep and . . . )

The Cayenne is hardly a real off road vehicle (witness the classic picture in either R&T or C&D during their road test, of them having to have an old rusty F150 4x4 tow it out of a mud bog). It's a country club SUV. As to their making it, I admire they for it even as I have no desire to ever own a Cayenne - it was a pure business decision, and before beating them up too badly for making it consider that: a) it sells well and pays a lot of bills, b) they are among the healthest car companies financially because of the Cayenne, in part.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Lee is correct, Porsche built the Cayenne to make them money. In the age of everyone driving an SUV, they got into the market and did it well (building an good SUV, not necessarily a good off road vehicle per sae). You could probably say they did it too well, as they sold so many Cayennes, they are now actually classified as a large automobile manufacturer, and now have to stick to more strick emissions/epa rules. As a small car company, they were expempt from many of these.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:37 AM

I just don't think off-road vehicles would suit Porsche's image. I mean, they are better of with race cars alone. But it's worth a try, why not. I think a brand new innovation on auto parts and styling should be highly considered.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:20 PM

I guess it depends onwhat "off road" means. I think when this thread started it mean jeep-like, real cross-country ability. But too many it means "off paved roads" and that brings up rally cars. Porsche 911s have often competed in rally that involve many dirt and back roads, and occasionally did well. But they could never match the Lancias, or, more recently, the MItsi and Suburus, which are, frankly, rather awesome even if some have trouble admitting the STi and Evo are damn fast when driven well.
Regardless, Porsche builds my kind of car (the Carrera) and a lot of stuff for other people that pays their bills and I'm happy to sdee comtribute to their profits (the Cayenne, the Cayman, the Boxster, and soon, the Panamera) which is great. Thge don't build a great dirt road rally car, though, although a C4 can do pretty damn good.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:45 PM

Unless you convert the 911 to an off roader like the ralleys

Old 04-23-2008, 08:45 PM

Old 05-20-2008, 09:04 PM

Did any of you followany of the Transyberria Rallyes ?
Mud and water up to the door window sills ?
And an old911 competed along with the Cayennes and finished ?

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/Tra...8/germany.aspx

Pretty wet conditions compared to the Baja 500, 1000, or Dakar.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:55 AM

From my original post on this Topic, I must now declare myself a hypocrit. I've got an ML420CDI![sm=bustedsign.gif]
Big Bob