Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Ceramic brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 12:07 AM
Default Ceramic brakes

Just about to put in order for 2009 Turbo, and debating whether to spring for the $8000+ option of ceramic brakes. Would welcome input on whether this is a good investment - or just extravagant gewgaw.
Thanks!

Old 06-24-2008, 07:00 AM
Default RE: Ceramic brakes

If you drive on the street, in a sane fashion, I doubt you will ever see any significant performance gain. And there is a likelihood that beyond the $8K initial price there will be higher long term costs, particularly if you ever are unlucky to experience any road hazard damage to the brakes, etc.

On the other hand: a) if you autocross or track-day your car, the ceramic brakes could make a difference, b) ceramic brakes are about as high-tech as you can get, and probably will give you a certain pleasure in just knowing they are there, beyond any bragging rights they bring, c) potentially you get perhaps half of the money back on re-sale.

Given the cost of the Turbo and the nature of the car in the first place (not exactly built or bought for praticality), I'd probably spring for the extra money just to have them.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:47 PM

If you can find the $Dollars for the new car, then go first class and have the Ceramic Brakes.
Lee has covered the issues already. By going Ceramic when you feel you need the "chip", air intake/inter cooler mods , and the sports exhaust to move into the sub 600hp range, you will have the brakes to suit already.
Regards Big Bob

Old 06-25-2008, 06:02 PM

Thanks, Lee and Bob for your input. Perhaps I can get the "image" benefits with a small can of yellow enamel paint!

Old 06-27-2008, 03:25 AM

That would work. Certainly a can of paint would be chaeper than $8000.
Regards Big Bob

Old 06-27-2008, 10:44 PM

I've had this conversation with a few friends about this who own new Turbos, Cayman's, Boxters. The consensus is that the 8k for the ceramics is well worth it. This helps big time on the track and is a puff plus on re-sale. The bottom line is that their really not "needed" but come in very handy when they are.

Roy.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:56 AM

I have the ceramic brakes on my 2007TT that recently arrived (slightly preowned) and they are fantastic. I have my first track times in July for this car and look forward to exploring the car and brakes. They are firm but it's like, from my recent road trip, you are only using a small portion of what's there waiting for you if you need it. Having the extra stopping power when adding power is an excellent point (that I also learned from modifying my M3). I also agree that if you aren't going to track your car the extra $ may not be worth it. Like everything with cars, it's up to your driving style and budget. I test drove a TT with stock brakes, and I had NO complaints driving around town.