Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Daily driver and winter

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Default RE: Daily driver and winter

The roads are good here its just the gravel in the winter. I suppose its better than salt for the corrosion. Even with front end clear bra, the stones still hit the hood and windshield. My 911 is black and you can see everything on the car.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Default 997 Turbo vs. 997 4S - help!

Your information has been great for an almost Porsche owner.

As previously noted I have test driven a 997 Turbo (gulp) and next week my pre-owned exotic car dealer wants me to test drive a 997 4S as he claims the extra money for the Turbo may not be "worth it" since the 997 4S drives very similarly to the Turbo. He explained many of his buyers get a Turbo to drive around town and that it's a waste of $. I explained it will be my daily driver but I also want something I can take to the track 10-12 days a year and on road trips. I appreciate his comparative approach to help me make a decision. But my experience will be based upon 20 in the seat, not much time to make such a big decision. I guess I will find out soon enough but wanted to know any opinions from other members who have drive both (or 997 S as I understand the drive is same as 4S).

I started with BMWs about 10 years ago and found myself trading up all the time and even with my current E46 M3 I modified it a lot (480bhp) to reach a bit further. I really want to avoid this upgrading trap so am leaning toward the Turbo given, for me anyway, the prices are a strech (4S is about $45K Canadian less than a similar pre-owned Turbo). Still it's less expensive than buying a 4S and 4 years later wanting to go Turbo. At my age (60) I don't have the energy for this anymore - just want to drive, drive, drive.

Any advice would be appreciated before I make the plunge and place my order!

Thanks for your thoughts, and patience, in advance.
Bruce

Old 03-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Default RE: 997 Turbo vs. 997 4S - help!

Bruce--I'd go with the Turbo based on what you're saying. Sounds like its what you really want. Good luck, let us know what you decide.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:36 AM

Well it looks like the decision is almost made. One other thought that might provide a "halfway house" between the Turbo and the 4S is the 4S with the X50 uprated engine?
the X50 version will be harder to find but its another option.
But then what the hell - go for the Turbo!!!!!!
Regards Big Bob

Old 03-24-2008, 01:14 PM

Thanks - this is a friendly Forum!
Last week I met with the broker who will locate a preowned Porsche for me (can search Canada and US) and this week I will drive a 997 4S and 996 TT per his advice to consider the "feel" of the drive vs. the cost consideration. I still can't get the 997 TT test drive out of my mind but I appreciate his approach. It least this will allow me to rationalize the 997TT decision (oops). Deciding on options is not difficult except for the exterior color b/c web based photo can look so different even with the same color. If I can get the color option narrowed down I'll place my order late this week (leaning toward darker colors regardless of cleaning issues - midnight metallic blue, atlas metallic gray, or slate metallic gray - most trubos here are black or artic silver). If I get lucky, I will be on the road in late May or June. If so, a road trip south to northern States will be in the cards (fortunately my wife is encouraging and finds theTT suspension more comfortable compared to my KW coilovers in my M3 - a bonus for sharing the enthusiasm & trips rather than passenger back aches). I guess I will factor in good snow tires for later this year (not sure if I need new rims), and some 3M.

I'll keep you posted and with photos asap.

I guess quite a few of you are already in Spring, warm and dry roads, enjoy!
Bruce

Old 03-24-2008, 01:32 PM

Bruce--that's exciting and the color sounds awesome. It's also nice that your wife is very supportive, my wife is as well.
I'm not in the Spring mod yet in Colorado but hope to be in the next few weeks. We had a few nice days last week so I her out on a couple of drives. The long cold winter weekends are spent polishing and detailing.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:28 AM

Folks,
With your input I took the plunge yesterday and asked the broker/dealer to find me a 997 TT. I'm impressed with his approach and service and with the options I listed as "musts" and "preferred" he thought he could find one in about a month, plus shipping time. I've never used a service like this before but considering we only have one Porsche dealer here it's great to have this option for preowned Porsches. Will post photos when I can.

Also talked with my tuner and he, as you already know, assured me the car will be ready for all my driving interests (including track) right out of the box. Yahoo!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:16 AM

Let us know when you get her in. Congrats!