Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Help! My new 911sc won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 12:30 AM
Default Help! My new 911sc won't start

HI, I am new to the 911 owner experience after a 10 year hiatus. My story is I just purchased a 1983 SC from a gentleman in Wisconsin. I had the car inspected at a indy and the car got a tuneup and a few oil lines replaced. Otherwise the car was in good condition and I was very happy when I picked it up. It's a gold cabriolet and I drove it problem free from Wisconsin to St. Louis in one day. On the drive home I had NO problems at all. It started every time and without hesitation. On the drive home it rained like a big dog but no issues during the rain. I got home and drove it into the garage and now it won't start. It turns over fine and fires for a couple of seconds and then dies. I do smell fuel from the exhaust. I have swapped the fuel pump relay out without benefit and changed the coil. I dont seem to hear the pump going when I turn the ignition on (should it be very obvious?). Can I check this easily and where do I check (I do have a voltmeter). I have read a lot about the CD Ignition box problems too - could this be my problem as well? I check the distributor cap and rotor (given the rain conditions) and they looked fine. How can I check if my distributor/coil is getting spark? I am a novice when it comes to electrical troubleshooting but I would like to give it a go before sending her off to a mechanic. If anyone is in the St. Louis area and could help I'd appreciate it. I have ordered a brand new fuel pump relay, dist cap and rotor and new wires, and a fuel filter (I figure they are all good LT maintenance items so no loss in getting these). Thanks in advance folks. The cab only has 50K on it and is very nice.

Grand