Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Planning my pre-owned Porsche purchase....

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Default Planning my pre-owned Porsche purchase....

Hello everyone!
As the title says, I am planning my pre-owned Porsche purchase. I am looking for a 930 turbo or a 964 turbo. I will however be very happy with a 993 as well. I LOVE the wide body look. I have started to look around on the classifieds on line (autotrader.com, ebay motors, etc...) to get an idea as far as price of these fine cars is concerned. I have found several nice deals on several cars, but I have noticed that a lot of these cars have very high mileage...(100K +).
My first couple of questions:
1) Does high mileage really matter on these cars? I have seen/been told that these cars are meant to be driven, and they perform their best even at the high mileage mark.

2) When I am ready to make the purchase, (in about 1 year), I will definitely have a PPI by a certified Porsche mechanic prior to finalizing any deal. That being said, is there anything I should be looking at myself, any specific warning signals/red flags to indicate if the car I am thinking about is a good deal vs a no-go?

I am quite the novice at this, but I am doing the research on these cars to prepare me as best as possible so I won't be going into the deal as a complete novice. I know that older cars may have their issues, and I am ok with that...I just don't want to make any serious mistakes which may cost me a fortune later on.

Thanks for your time and advice!!!

Abdon

Old 08-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

While the cars have been known to go a few 100k miles, they don't get there without a lot of general maintenance and repairs. Each of the models listed all have their own issues within their model group that might not be experienced by other models. For instance, the 930 and the 965 (964 turbo) are CIS engines that uses a very dated fueling system which takes some specialized tools to work on and keep running optimally. The 993 on the other hand uses an updated electronic fuel injection system. The 964 (non turbo) also uses an EFI engine, as does the 1984-1989 911 Carrera. Really you need to decide which model you are after, and go after that specific model, figure out the quirks that need to be looked into etc. You also need to ask yourself is this going to be a daily driver, a weekend toy when it is sunny out, or a concourse show car as that will greatly guide your model choice IMHO. Typically the turbo cars were widebody, while the naturally aspirated models were narrow body (with the exception of the turbo look option of some of the early 911's, the 1994 964 C4, or the 993 C4S).

Old 08-16-2010, 08:36 PM

Thanks for the reply!
I am planning to use the car as a daily driver. I have been seriously thinking about the 964 turbo as well. I have not entirely discarded the possibility of getting a lower mileage 964 (non-turbo) in good condition, and modifying it with a "wide body turbo-look" kit. Which brings me to my next question...are there any GOOD after-market wide body kits which you all would reccommend?
I do plan on updating and restoring the car wherever possible and wherever needed, and possibly even re-painting the car as well. It all depends on the deal I can get on the car and the available funds. and of course the condition of the car when bought.
Thanks again for taking the time!

Abdon