Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Safe Parking

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Default Safe Parking

I'm planning another road trip this summer. Last summer I enjoyed Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico. However, I often did a lot of worrying when parking my car at night wondering about vandals (especially with foreign license plate). Where do you park when you're out of town and staying over night at hotels and motels?

Old 04-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Default RE: Safe Parking

Some B&Bs we stay at have unpaved parking lots and there I am often careful with ruts and potholes, but otherwise I don't worry about parking locations at all. Otherwise, I park in front of the hotel where its convenient to unload luggage and all, centering the car well, and just don't worry about it. It's just a car, after all, and anyway, thieves typically target stuff they can part out more easily, like Hondas and Camrys.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:43 PM

Lee's right, they are more likely to steal a Honda Accord than a Porsche

Old 04-17-2008, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

They can't steal them, without the imobilizer in the key, the car isn't going to start. As far as avoiding vandals, just make sure you park with everyone else. When you park on the end away from all the other cars, vandals immediately spot it as a "this guy thinks his car is better than everyone elses," and will target it. If you are parked in with everyone else, typically no one is going to care.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:11 AM

Hi
While not strictly necesary I also place a very visible Steering Wheel Lock on the car when parked in such circumstances, having ensured thereare no attractive goodies on view in the car.
Another device I use and this is not always possible, is to park the vehicle in a well lit area away from other vehicles, so that shadows dont encourage naughty business.
I guess to depending where you are in the States, a card sying "Beware Rattlesnake has got into car, waiting for Pest Control officer to remove!" might help
Regards Big Bob

Old 04-18-2008, 08:19 AM

Are Porsche owners the most helpful drivers with the best sense of humor, or what?
Thanks, these are good suggestions re parking (taking two spots, you're right although it never dawned on me before).
Bruce

Old 04-18-2008, 04:55 PM

I usually park in a well lit agrea near the hotel

Old 04-24-2008, 08:18 AM

I try to park away from other cars. I'm more worried about a door opening and hitting mine than I am vandals/theft. Just last weekend I went out of town and had told my wife to find me a room "downtown", so I could walk to eat. She found me a room ina hotel without any parking, they used a public parking garage - and in talking to them they didn't have a section of the garage reserved for their use. I canceled the room and booked another in a place that at a minimum had a parking lot. I used to cover the car, but I'd advise not to do that - people like to lift the cover and see what's underneath and the covers can be easily taken. I don't know what they do with them, but they do get taken.