Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Safe RPM

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 04:25 AM
Default Safe RPM

Hello Everyone.
Since this is my first post, I would like to start out by saying 'thanks' to all of you who are dedicated to this forum. I have visited this forum from time-to-time over the past couple of months and have found it to be not only educational, but also a good source of inspiration. Your individual dedications are appreciated. Thanks!

My question is a general one: When accelerating, what is a 'safe' RPM to run a typical 944 engine at?

I purchased an '87 Porsche 944 about 2 months ago and each of my previous vehicles were one of your typical economy rides. I understand that Sports Cars are engineered for performance, but I also believe that if anything is driven too hard, problems occur much sooner.

The engine sounds nice, but acceleration hesitates a bit if I dont let the car 'warm up' before driving around.

I take the engine up to 3,500 RPMs from 1st - 3rd, and settle in 5th at no less than 55 MPH.

Any reply is welcome, and personal experiences are appreciated. Thanks for viewing!

Old 07-25-2005, 11:10 AM
Default RE: Safe RPM

A good rule of thumb is to keep the car in tune (spark plugs, filters, distributor cap, clean injectors). The car will virtually talk to you when it comes to what it can do just by listening to the engine revs and watching the tach. The 944 is not a speed demon in the first place, but take it to the winding roads, and that's where you see its traits.

Old 07-27-2005, 07:08 PM
Default RE: Safe RPM

Porsches love to be rev'd, so don't be afraid to do so. 5k to 5.5k is a NA engines "happy spot", shift at or just before 6k and you'll be fine and trust me, the engine can habndle it if its been properly maintained. Shifting at lower rpms is fine for maintaining your gas mileage but don't forget to let it run every now and then.

Regards,