Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Should I or Shouldn't I???

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Default Should I or Shouldn't I???

My 2007 Targa 4 is stored away for the winter months. The question is, should I just leave it alone or shouldI start it every once in a while during the winter?? With about 3' of snow on the ground up here I have no idea when I will be able to get it out of the garage.. Any suggestions?? besides moving to a warm climate??

Thanks and HNY..

Steve In the frozen wilderness of Saratoga Springs, NY

Old 01-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Should I or Shouldn't I???

Start it at least twice a month and let it get up to operating temp. This will help to keep the oil seals elastic and keep them from leaking. If they are not warmed up on a regular basis, the seals will dry out and you will start seeing oil leaks earlier than normal.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:01 AM

Hi K2we
Doc Wilen is spot on. This we also ensure the battery is cycled too! Another thought and here I'm not certain, but most Manufacturers who supply vehiclesto cold climates, have a optional feature to have a plug in "engine warming device" that either impacts the water jacket or the oil sump.May be worth considerin, as this will reduce battery load when cranking and speed up the warm up time to full operating temperature per the Doc's advice.
Regards Big Bob

Old 01-18-2008, 02:49 PM

Absolutely. You definitely want to get it running once in a while. If you have questions, you can always call the service department at prestige porsche. They'll be happy to help you out! http://www.prestigeporsche.com

Old 01-19-2008, 10:31 AM

If i were you (god damn it!) i would start it every day...just to hear that awesome sound. Too bad i'm not you.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:04 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I did start the car after about 4 weeks of sitting idle. One odd thing was the car didn't unlock with the key fob. Is this what's supposed to happen after the car sits a while?? I had to put the key in the door to open it. The car did start right up though.. I let it run until the oil temp rose to a normal reading. It has been so cold up hereand there is so much salt and gravel on the roads, I really don't feel like taking the car out and getting it dirty.. So.. On the bright side.. ONLY 8 more weeks of winter...

Steve (k2we)in Saratoga Springs, NY

Old 01-19-2008, 12:24 PM

Hi Steve
If you leave the car for over 5 days, to save the electrics and the battery charge, the automatic unlock from the key fob ceases, as all non essential power consumers are switched off.So as you found you then have to use the key in the door lock to reactivate the system. I always unlock and with the key still in the lock press the unlock on the key fob, and this ensures you dont set the alarm off!
Anotherthought for longer term parking is to buy a designed battery charger (Porscheagents can recommendor supply one) that you leave switched on and connected and it just keeps the battery up to chargeand electronically automatically cuts in and out, and does not result in "cooking" the battery. I havethem for my Porsche and 2 Mercedes.
Regards Big Bob