Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

uneven tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Default uneven tire wear

As is probably typical for the 996, my rear tires have experienced uneven wear. The outside half of the tread is not nearly as worn down as the inside. (4mm left versus 2mm).Is a sensible way to get more life out of the tiresto simply take them off the wheel, reverse them, and put them on again so that the less worn part would then be on the inside?

Old 04-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: uneven tire wear

Basically you are stuck with getting new tires. There is so much negative camber in the rears, that they wear out on the inside first. Once you are past the wear strips on the inside, the tires need to be replaced. Expect 10k maybe 15k on a set of rear tires max.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:27 AM

Rx, do they need so much neg. camber for handling or could they be cambered more neutral?

Old 04-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

It is pretty much needed for handling. Settting it more neutral is going to have an effect on how the rear end moves around.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:00 AM

Thanks Doc. I was afraid that would be your Rx.

You explain why it happened, but what I still don't understand is why you can't take each rear tire off their wheel, flip them around, put them back on, and have the "fat" side rolling on the inside. In my case, the whole tire is still okay, but the inside bit for not much longer. I thought I could extend their life by running the part with the most life left on the side that wears down first. Perhaps at the limits, I could "lose it" in a corner faster, but i would imagine the "limits" (i mean when you start sliding after oversteer) would be higher in any casewith more rubber on the inside. I am taking it to the porsche dealer to switch my winter wheels and tires for the summer ones i mention above, and would like to know whether i should ask them to do this "flip around" before putting on the summers.

Thanks again

Old 04-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Johnny Carson

Thanks Doc. I was afraid that would be your Rx.

You explain why it happened, but what I still don't understand is why you can't take each rear tire off their wheel, flip them around, put them back on, and have the "fat" side rolling on the inside. In my case, the whole tire is still okay, but the inside bit for not much longer. I thought I could extend their life by running the part with the most life left on the side that wears down first. Perhaps at the limits, I could "lose it" in a corner faster, but i would imagine the "limits" (i mean when you start sliding after oversteer) would be higher in any casewith more rubber on the inside. I am taking it to the porsche dealer to switch my winter wheels and tires for the summer ones i mention above, and would like to know whether i should ask them to do this "flip around" before putting on the summers.

Thanks again
If you do that every 3k miles or so, then you can probably get the tires to wear a little more evenly and get a few more miles out of it. All depends on how cheap you can get the tires flipped and re balanced, then factor that into the price of tires and see if you are coming out ahead

Old 04-14-2007, 04:48 AM

Thanks Doc!