Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

944 HP Questions/Answers

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Default RE: 944 HP Questions/Answers

hey i am new to the forum and i think your post is excellent. i have a 87 porsche 944 8V. i got a good deal on it and bought it from the first owner. i was looking into your post and tried to find the supercharger kit but had no luck. can you please link as to where i can get one?

Old 01-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: boostingwild

hey i am new to the forum and i think your post is excellent. i have a 87 porsche 944 8V. i got a good deal on it and bought it from the first owner. i was looking into your post and tried to find the supercharger kit but had no luck. can you please link as to where i can get one?
Sure, here you go

http://www.speedforceracing.com/prod...gers_944v8.php

Old 01-29-2009, 01:16 PM

Awesome details. Is there a swap guide of some sort that you (or someone else) knows of? Just something that says what can be used in place of what, between years and Turbo-N/A. Specifically, I'm hoping a 19686 turbo tranny can bolt up to my 1983 N/A for the LSD but I don't know where to begin looking.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: fetchitfido

Awesome details. Is there a swap guide of some sort that you (or someone else) knows of? Just something that says what can be used in place of what, between years and Turbo-N/A. Specifically, I'm hoping a 19686 turbo tranny can bolt up to my 1983 N/A for the LSD but I don't know where to begin looking.
I don't know of a parts interchangeability guide out there, but yes the transaxles do swap. You will find that most parts will swap between early and late cars, and between turbo and NA. Not all of course, but the vast majority.

You need to use the early transaxle mount, which will bolt right up to a late transaxle. The gearing may be a bit off though if you are using a turbo tranny in an NA. I have done the same with a turbo motor and driveline into our 84 widebody project.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:57 AM

Very helpful! Thank you!

Old 02-19-2009, 08:38 PM

Hi all

I found a bolt on supercharge that is Alternator driven that can hook up in place of a cone filter. It claims 1 PSI boost and only activates durring full throttle. The intake is a full 3 inches to compensate for a fan being in the airpath. Looks reqasonable especially if you can get the cone filter moved to the fender. Claims are 10-15HP which sound reasonable. Only costs 400.

Opinions?

Old 02-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: hadakaneko

Hi all

I found a bolt on supercharge that is Alternator driven that can hook up in place of a cone filter. It claims 1 PSI boost and only activates durring full throttle. The intake is a full 3 inches to compensate for a fan being in the airpath. Looks reqasonable especially if you can get the cone filter moved to the fender. Claims are 10-15HP which sound reasonable. Only costs 400.

Opinions?
Bogus.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:38 AM

Yep though it sounded fishy. One of those too good to be true things.

In any case I'm rather happy with my car at the moment, my only upgrade has been the Bursch pipe. I think it sounds great and seems to give it just a hair more pep wide open. Just my 2 cents...

Old 05-12-2009, 12:20 PM

This is a really informative right up. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

I might have missed it but I would like to ad that these modification hp gains depend on the condition of your engine and how tightly everything seals up. You can get a feel for that by your compression test results and even better with a leak down test. Keep in mind that there may be a difference between the factories initial HP claims and what the car puts out after 20 years of use.

Also - these modification HP gains are not necessarily concurrent. In other words if you do a K&N filter install and also a chip or exhaust mod then you can't just add up the probable hp gains for a total gain. Every time you change something related to spark/air/fuel it changes the total equation and a subsequent mod might make more or less of an impact to total HP.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by josh b
This is a really informative right up. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

I might have missed it but I would like to ad that these modification hp gains depend on the condition of your engine and how tightly everything seals up. You can get a feel for that by your compression test results and even better with a leak down test. Keep in mind that there may be a difference between the factories initial HP claims and what the car puts out after 20 years of use.

Also - these modification HP gains are not necessarily concurrent. In other words if you do a K&N filter install and also a chip or exhaust mod then you can't just add up the probable hp gains for a total gain. Every time you change something related to spark/air/fuel it changes the total equation and a subsequent mod might make more or less of an impact to total HP.
Excellent points on all counts Josh!

Quick Reply: 944 HP Questions/Answers